Returnil Question

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Makav3l1, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I just downloaded an installed the Returnal Premium offer on giveawayoftheday yesterday. I am interested in giving it a run. Here is my question:

I run Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, I have a raid 0 array partitioned into two drives, C: and D:. The C: drive is only the system partition while the D: drive is the data (I have moved the Administrator account documents, downloads, Pictures, etc. folders over to D: ) as well as the programs drive. As far as I can tell Returnil only covers the system partition C:. It does however have a file manager which allows me to add folders that won't be reverted during a restart. The programs that I have installed on D: still have their programdata and appdata folders on the C: drive like a regular one partition system. If I want to allow my programs to be completely cut off from the Returnil System Protection, which folders should I add to the File Manager? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Makav3l1

Anyone?

3. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Makav3l1,
    It would be extemely difficult for anyone to say which folders without knowing which applications. Regardless of this however, you still would not be able to isolate a program that requires any part of it to be installed within the System Partition. The reasons for this are as follows:

1) Files/folders on the System Partition are protected when RVS protection is on. Even using the File Manager, the line items in the manager list are always protected until the moment they are commited to disk.

RVS uses an inclusive, rather than exclusive approach, requiring deliberate action on the part of an authorized user to commit the file/folder and changes to the same at any given time. This can be automated to a degree using the Windows Task Scheduler and the supported command line, but the protection remains in force.

2) The current generation of Returnil does not support selective registry changes. As many applications require or store information in the registry, there is no way to completely isolate it unless it is a mobile application

HTH
    Mike

5. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Returnil FAQ states that it is incompatible with RAID.

6. Coldmoon

Hi capatt,
    RVS is compatible with RAID 0 since the 1.7x generation and should be compatible with RAID 1 as well. We do not test both so cannot say with certainty that it is compatible with RAID 1

Mike

7. Makav3l1

If it is compatible with Raid 0, which is what I have, could I get it to cover the entire raid and not just the default C: partition?

8. Coldmoon

No, RVS will still only protect the System Partition.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.