Returnil - problems with Vista and IE context menu

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Max Zorin, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I run Vista Ultimate and recently discovered that IE would crash if I tried to right click on any folder in the favorites (eg, to edit / delete them). through a process of elimination, I have discovered that it is Returnil which is causing the problem.

The problem occurs wether Returnil is in protected mode or not. If I turn off UAC so IE is not in Vistas protected mode, I can right click on the faveorites with no problem. - Similarly, the problem goes away if I uninstall Returnil.

Has anyone else found this issue - and found a solution?

MZ

2. karad

karad Registered Member

Upon reading your post I tried the trick and indeed I had the same crashing result:
    I was running Vista Premium since a couple of days in a Returnil protected state to test it and today ,after a couple of right clicking on favourites (did not take any action just clicked properties afterward) in two or three minutes IE7 warned it had crashed and had to be closed.
    It is really frustrating as I had already got rid of hibernation files on this machine after having been so instructed by Coldmoon here at Wilders.
    I deem Returnil as a pillar of security in this Vista setup and I will take the risk of leaving it running in spite of this 'bug', since it shows no other malfunction. Providing you use FF or another instead of IE.

If Returnil people need any evidence to try to correct this bug I am available via PM to send it.

A new security update which has purposedly or not put another small obstacle to the fruition of indipendent-usefull software in Vista?

I am currently using UAC, are you MaxZorin?

3. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Hello. Yes, I am using UAC. With UAC disabled, the problem goes away - but I want UAC enabled.

Returnil seems to be a great product and I will use it again if a workaround can be found for this problem.

I have not contacted them over this - currently cont have it installed, but if you could contact them, that may help.

MZ

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Max and karad,
    Thanks for the report and I have flagged this thread to the development team.

Mike

5. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Any feedback from th team or workaround Mike?

MZ

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

In a snapshot with Returnil and Vista, Max, I have yet to duplicate this. Not saying it isnt true, but they have been working very well together. Anyway, HotSun is good about making sure their team is looking at this. ;)

7. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Hi trjam. Which version of Vista are you using?

Im no Vista expert, but I have Ultimate - and I think that offers the protected mode browsing with IE7, whereas other versions dont. I may be wrong...

I posted on the Returnil forum and they confirm its a known issue. See:

http://www.castlecops.com/t228783-Returnil_problems_with_UAC_and_IE.html

Regards,

MZ

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Max, I am using the level below you, so I need to keep my lips shut.;)

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I may be wrong, but I don't think so....:), but Protected Mode for IE7 is default for all versions of Vista...not just Ultimate.

Later....

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi max,If you run with UAC off even though you probably would be fine with returnils protection,I would suggest to check enabled memory protection.

Attached Files:

11. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Just a note to let you know we are testing the correction for this internally. This build also includes a potential correction for the commit to disk issue on some Vista systems and the password discovery issue.

Note: This build does not yet include a correction for the Vista Hibernation issue which is still being researched and tested in the lab.

If you would like to give this build a test please let me know and will send you the download link by PM. If your reports are positive, we should be able to release it to the general public soon afterwords...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.