Returnil Passes Sector Editor Test!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by yankinNcrankin, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Just installed Returnil v2.0.0.261 on top of my current setup of XpProS2 with Threat Fire, Comodo Firewall Pro, and Avira AntiVir PEC. Session locked my system and ran Julie Lau's Sector Editor v1.05. I did a sector fill of my entire C: partition and rebooted as with the earlier versions of Returnil upon reboot I would get a black screen with the message Error loading operating system then I would have to format my C: back to NTFS then do a image restore. I'm excited to announce that Returnil's latest version 2.0.0.261 passes the test :D Awesome! :D

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Now this brilliant software is even better. I'm just wondering that beta version is premium version. Is that chargeable when it's ready? Is there coming free version (v2) if premium is chargeable? What's the difference between those?

-MikeNAS

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, "Coming Soon" has been trying real hard to find a reason to stick with the old traditional way of security with a AV and crap for 2 weeks. And that approach is stuck in the ice age. I have not found a way to not say that a product like Returnil is now the most simplistic and logical approach to security. Coldmoon, I think I am ready.;)

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have a question, can you perhaps test a couple of other security tools, because If I´m correct, HIPS who monitor low level disk access (for example SSM and Neoava) should pass the test?

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Think you need to read this, from my understanding I would not expect to see the new features in the free version.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1131783&postcount=6

6. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Registered Member

Does this sector test also pass for the old version, 1.7 something?

7. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

No it does not pass 1.7.0.7502 and earlier versions will not protect you against this type of testing.
    Even if a HIPS could block this type of attack from malware theres always a chance of some other method(s) getting through and its nice to have the extra piece of mind that your sectors on your HD C: is protected. I would like a certain someone who is a member here that always talks about the killdisk virus to please PM a sample so I may do a test, I really would like to see the out come as it seems to use similar methods of sector fill to corrupt and or change the HD's boot sector and other data.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@ y-N-c thanks for the info.

HAving watched the posts: this (Returnil) is evolving into an intriguing app.

regards

PS is there a direct link to dl manual

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it wont the first, but it may be the last, I ever buy. It just makes sense, and ease.;)

11. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Though it will not have the change commit feature set, the Personal edition will be upgraded with a solution to this and any other critical issues as required ;)

Mike

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Newb question regarding Returnil. How do you save changes you make in the virtual environment?

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Using the stable builds, you have two options for saving files:
    - Save to a removable drive, other internal hard disk, or another partition.
    - Use the virtual partition feature of Returnil.
    You can't save other types of changes like registry tweaks or defragging without turning off the protection first and then rebooting in thawed mode.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You can move, copy, backup, and delete the Virtual Partition file without causing any issues with Returnil’s System Protection. Please be sure however to backup any data you have stored in the Virtual Partition prior to deleting it if you want to keep that data: Once the VP file is deleted, any data saved within it will also be deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.