Returnil on a domain

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by AndyXS, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyXS

AndyXS Registered Member

I am wondering if Returnil works well on computers with roaming profiles. Does it still allow roaming settings & files without causing any problems?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hell AndyXS and welcome to the forums :)

There is a known issue that is still being investigated that can sometimes lead to interruptions in secure server-client communications. The issue arises when the communication involves the transfer of updated keys.

EX: Server sends the client an updated key while RVS protection is on. All is fine, including additional in-session key updates until the system is rebooted. When the client is restarted, the key updates are lost and login can be effected until the server is reset.

Mike

3. AndyXS

AndyXS Registered Member

This happens when you connect Windows PCs to Windows Servers? What about Windows PCs to a Linux Server. Do they still use keys?

4. Coldmoon

This is only related to logins that require authenticated key exchanges. Also, this does not effect all of these types of logins. Please experiment with a test login to see if there are any issues in your environment specifically and let us know the results. The more feedback we get from testers here, the faster we can isolate and correct it in the code...

Mike

5. AndyXS

AndyXS Registered Member

I dont want to buy the business version to find i can't use it. Any chance of a 30 day licence to test.

P.S It must be the business because i need to exclude directories

6. Coldmoon

The premium Edition is a 15 day trial with full functionality. If you need more time beyond this, let me know and will get a 15 day extension.

Mike

7. AndyXS

AndyXS Registered Member

Ill try it monday when im in the office.

8. AndyXS

AndyXS Registered Member

Just wanted to ask...

Do i need to exclude network drives?

9. Coldmoon

No, as RVS only clones the System Partition.

10. cragazzo

cragazzo Registered Member

I am hoping that someone has had more details with this issue. At the very least, bump this issue up so we can find a resolution.

This is what I have discovered. I have the professional version installed on a system. I noticed after about a month, the users complained that they could no longer log onto the domain.

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues, contact your system administrator for assistance.

Even though I could log on with my domain admin account, the user could not. I turned off the protection and then had to unjoin and rejoin the domain. After some time it happened a 2nd time. I tried different methods of trying to connect, but ultimately I had to unjoin and rejoin the domain. I thought about the dhcp, but if IP is released, it typically goes back to the same workstation. I did notice that it takes exactly 4 weeks for this to occur. I believe it does have something to do with the kerberos ticket. If I get no feedback here, I will log a service request, because having to deal with this every 4 wks is not feasible.

I did try this on a test, but obviously the testing period of only 15 days is not long enough to see this issue.

11. Coldmoon

Hi cragazzo,
    What version and build of RVS are you reporting?

Thanks
    Mike

12. cragazzo

2008 v 2.0.1.9002

13. Coldmoon

This is a known issue with that version. Changes have been made in RVS 2010 that will address this.

Mike

14. cragazzo

My next question would be; Since we just purchased this about 45 days ago, will there be a charge to upgrade to allow for this resolution?

15. Coldmoon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.