Returnil For Dummies

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by cctenpro, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cctenpro

cctenpro Registered Member

Is there any kind of step by step demonstration of this program, like a users manual, like other less complicated programs have,:oops:

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello cctenpro and welcome :)

The users manual is available in PDF format on each versions product page and also from the installation file (Click the "Help" button on the first screen of the installer...)

HTH
    Mike

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If ever a few good communications majors wanted to make money they could write some Dummies books for many of the products that are popular here.
    The software companies would likely make more dough too.
    Hugger

4. cctenpro

Well after reading a bit i crossed my fingers and turned on the protection and installed a bunch of software and when i rebooted,,,,,,,it was all gone:D , so now i just have to try the "save a program to the real hard drive", and i will be set!!! i bought this program because i am a try a new program nut and i alllways wind up having to reinstall my os after i either overload the system after a few months with program junk or install something that messes everything up:cautious: (i keep my "serious" computer free of all programs that aren't essential,) thanks for the reply ,,, :D

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

You might want to also get an imaging program.
    There are many good ones discussed here. I use Shadow Protect Desktop.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

6. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe Returnil can only help you in the second case. If you have "program Overload" after a few months, it's probably too late to go back or you will wipe all programs and modifications that happened in the interim. When you install a program, you will have to make a decision at some stage whether you want to keep it or not.

7. Coldmoon

Both Hugger and beethoven have good points that suggest using imaging may help in this regard. The main aim is to reduce the changes to your real system to a minimum and reduce the time you need to take to "reset" your computer to a stable condition.

Scenario 1: Using RVS + Imaging

In this you would lock down your real system but make an image that you can restore to at a later time - this would reduce the time to restore your setup to the time needed to revert to that image (much faster than bare metal start over...)

A varient of this would be to make multiple images in time depending on your storage capacity and how often you want to make a "snapshot" you can return to quickly - just make sure you turn RVS protection off before restoring...

Scenario 2: RVS + testing environment

In this scenario RVS would again be locking down your real system but you would use a program like VMWare or VPC to create a separate virtual machine to test these programs before you move them to your real system. Though I am not going to recommend one solution over another, VMWare has a very useful multi-state snapshot feature that allows you to move back and forth between states in a way that is easier than in scenario 1. This is not for everyone as there are some down sides to these solutions (VMWare, etc):

1) Divided resources - these programs include hardware emulation that will take resources away from your HOST Operating System as you will need either the same resources or similar resources for the GUEST OS or OSs.

2) Complicated configurations - you will need to specify what is given to each of the GUEST OSs which can become detailed depending on what you are trying to test

3) Cost of GUEST OS - You will need valid licensing for each of the Guest OSs in the same way you require licensing for the HOST OS.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. cctenpro

Thanks for the info, I wiill look into the image program options. I have a question that I cant find a clear answer to, can i upgrade to the newest Returnil version without messing up my registration ?, is it free or do you have to pay for the new version, I have the premium edition 2.0 and want to upgrade to 2.1, thanks

9. Coldmoon

Your current 2.0 Serial number will work with 2.0.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.