Returnil corrupted Vista

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by kimotheraphy, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimotheraphy

kimotheraphy Registered Member

My system: Lenovo Thinkpad X61 with 3GB RAM running Vista Business SP1..

I have had many problems of system corruption with Returnil.. Running Returnil Personal Edition ver 2.0.1.9002 and here is an account of my most reason one:

On 20 Aug 2009, enabling session lock in Returnil led to BSOD.. Rebooted okay.. attempted to enable session lock again, BSOD again.

Tracing backwards, I had used Returnil on 16 August 2009 and it was okay. Between 16 Aug and 20 Aug, I had installed K Lite Mega Codec Pack 505, updated Avast from ver 4.8.1335 to 4.8.1351 and installed Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Pro from Giveaway of the day..

I uninstalled KLite Codec Pack, rebooted and tried to enable Returnil session lock again... still got a BSOD.. Next I uninstalled Easeus Data Recovery Wizard.. rebooted and attempted to turn on session lock again.. still got a BSOD... I then restored my system to an older image using my Thinkpad's Rescue & Recovery program...

On 26 Aug 2009.. I had Returnil session lock enabled and tested a new addon for Firefox called FireTorrent... Left my laptop running through the night... Shutdown in the morning...

Restarted my laptop later... notification tray icons took a long time to load... Tried to run Computer Management... would not run & received an error message "C:\Windows\System32\compmgmt.msc is not a valid Win32 application.".. Tried other Administrative Tools like Event Viewer and Services.msc.. Received similar error message... I ran home and restored my system to an older image with Thinkpad's Rescue & Recovery program once again..

I read the Sticky that said to disable any defragging activity for Vista users... I have Diskeeper which came default with my laptop.. There is a "Set It and Forget It" option which I did not set and therefore is NOT scheduled to run.. Diskeeper icon loads up in notification tray at every system startup though... Could this have anything to do with the above problems? Again I do not have Diskeeper set to "Set It and Forget It" so it should not be running on its own... How may I ensure that my system does not have any defragging activity running on its own?

Thank you

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello kimotheraphy and welcome to the forums :)

The alert was targeted specifically to the automated defragmentation feature in Windows itself, but also applies to third party defragmentation programs (in this case you have indicated that this is not a valid condition in your configurations for Diskeeper). The first question is whether Diskeeper disables the native Windows feature when it installs or alternately, if Lenovo has this disabled as a custom setting with the included third party program. To determine if this is the case:

Click Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Performance and Information Tools > Advanced Tools > Open Disk Defragmenter

Make sure the "Run on a Schedule (recommended)" is UNCHECKED and then click the "OK" button to save the setting. If this does not resolve the issue, please try uninstalling the Diskeeper product to determine if there is a direct driver incompatibility between it and RVS. If this is the case, please try the current RVS 2010 Beta which has been upgraded to address other similar driver conflict issues with other products previously identified during the testing.

Mike

3. kimotheraphy

Oh! Thank you! I think you have just diagnosed the problem and provided the solution! I performed the Click Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Performance and Information Tools > Advanced Tools > Open Disk Defragmenter as you suggested and the Run On Schedule was indeed CHECKED to run on every Wednesdy 12.58am and the 26th August was indeed a Wednesday! I thought Diskeeper had taken over wholly the defragmenting function in my system as when I access defragmenting via My Computer>C Drive>Right Click>Properties>Tools>Defragment now, Diskeeper would pop up. I did not know that Vista's native defragmenter was also enabled and did not know to access it via the path you mentioned... until now...

Once again, thank you very much!

I have restored my system to a point before installing Returnil, so I am currently Returnil-free.. Do I need a serial number to try Returnil 2010 Beta? And if yes, may I have one?

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

No, you do not need an activation code to try the RVS 2010 beta version. To register it after installation, open the "home" section and then click Status > more details link to open the License Registration screen. Leave the type as free and then enter a user name and valid e-mail address. Once you are satisfied with the entries, click the Register! button to request an automatic activation from our servers.

Mike

5. kimotheraphy

Thank you Mr Coldmoon! Will go give the beta a try!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.