Returnil Beta 1.70.1577 Out

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by rendez2k, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Returnil Beta 1.70.1577 Out (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_Beta_d5762.html) which apparently amongst other things fixes the SATA/IDE issue - anyone tested yet?

• System Protection Scheduler – Fully automated and customizable scheduler for the System Protection feature.
    • Installation Wizard upgrade – The installation now allows the user to configure more options during install.
    • RVS Toolbar visual upgrade – The RVS toolbar will change colors as an additional visual aide to the user for current System Protection status.
    • RVS Toolbar feature upgrade – The RVS Toolbar now includes the same right click options menu as the Tray Icon.
    • Program Access Password – Access Password Manager now included in optional program settings rather than the Main Status Screen.
    • SATA/IDE combinations – Solution added to address issues when using SATA and IDE drives in combination.
    • Preference protection – Solution added to harden RVS against damage to user preferences.
    • RVS Tray Icon recovery – RVS now able to recover its Tray Icon if Explorer crashes.
    • Hotkey upgrade – The hotkey feature now accepts “none” as a valid hotkey selection.
    • User’s Manual – Manual updated for 1.70
    • Display update – Actual Hard Disk and partition designations shown in Main GUI and Toolbar to aide in troubleshooting (EX: [Harddisk0/Partition1]).

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Grabbed it. Thanks rendez2k.:)

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

4. rendez2k

Hmmm, problem already. I now get an error during windows boot up saying "error 189038 Status 0 x". Windows continues to load and Returnil looks like its loaded unprotected, but if I try and enable it I get a "the system cannot find the specified file" error.

A few bits about my current system:

Have an XP Pro HDD and a Vista HDD installed (testing with XP Pro SP2)
    Have FDISR installed
    Have ESET Smart Security 2 Beta installed
    Have both SATA and IDE drives installed
    Didn't install the virtual drive

Any ideas?

5. Coldmoon

rendez2k,
    Have you tried a complete uninstall and then reinstall? By complete I mean to make sure all traces are removed prior to reinstall.

Mike

6. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Can someone confirm if the Perfect Disk Boot Time Defrag problem is fixed?

7. rendez2k

Do you mean clear the registry out? I hadn't but I can do. Anywhere else I should be looking?

8. Coldmoon

Yes

Mike

9. rendez2k

OK, I need to look into this more tomorrow. I've managed to get it to install by reinstalling 1.6, uninstalling, cleaning the registry then disabling my IDE drive (not sure which bit helped yet). Then I installed 1.7 without error and it was working, but.... on disabling Returnil and rebooting (and I re-enabled my IDE drive so I'm not sure if thats the issue) all my changes and file deletions kept, so I need to experiment more.

10. Coldmoon

rendez2k,
    Are you running SATA and IDE drives on this system?

Also what is displayed after "Protected Partition:" under the System Protection section of the Main Screen?

11. rendez2k

Yes 3x SATA (main drive + data) and 1x IDE (data).

Protected Partition: c:\ [Harddisc0\Partition1] which I think is wrong as c:\ is disc 1.

Drive layout and details:
    http://thereaktor.com/ret2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. Coldmoon

rendez2k,
    Thanks for the report and will flag this to development.

Mike

13. rendez2k

No probs. I'm happy to test further if required.

14. Franklin

Xp install on a sata drive.

Installed over the top of the old version which seemed to go ok.

Noticed in the install folder there is a RvsMover utility which doesn't seem accessible through the gui or start menu.

Is that by design or maybe my installing over the top.

With Vista and regards to Superfetch loading apps into memory.

Can this be a problem "if" superfetch and Returnil are using different memory blocks to run applications.

15. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Any word on if they fixed the compatibility issues with Perfect Disk 8?

16. Franklin

XP and PD 7.

Still one error there for an offline defrag.Think there used to be two?

Will try Vista and PD 8 when I have that drive plugged in or maybe someone else could try.

17. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Coldmoon I have two computers. One has two IDE drives and the newer one has a SATA and an IDE drive.The new Returnil works great on the computer with two IDE drives, but I get the ERROR on the one with a SATA and IDE drives.

18. Coldmoon

Hi William,
    I have discussed this with the lead developer in addition to the report from rendez2k. He has performed extensive internal testing to try and reproduce this in his lab, but has not been successful (IE, the software works as expected on his test rigs).

He is however working on a different solution to address this and we should see an update for a build in this series to test the new methodology.

Mike

19. Coldmoon

Hello Franklin,
    I apologize for missing this question yesterday. We are working on a new version of RvsMover for inclusion in future builds and is part of the Business Edition installation. During the testing, this utility will be included and updated when possible.

It will not interfer with any other programs and does not run or activate unless the user opens it on purpose. For more information, see the the first few pages of the "Returnil" mega-thread where it is shown (screen shots) and described in greater detail.

Mike

20. Coldmoon

New Builds available

See this post for the download links:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=184101

Builds
    RVS Business Edition (Build 1.70.6162)
    RVS Personal Edition (Build 1.70.6160)

Updated:

*Spanish, Portuguese, and Brazilian Portuguese language support

Fixed:

*Check added during installation for the existence of the autorun key in the registry. If the key does not exist, RVS will create it.

*Configuration file backup issue corrected. If RVS is unable to load its configuration file for any reason, it can load using the "Last known good" configuration

*Corrected a rare issue where some users could not dismount their Virtual Partition.

Mike

21. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

The problem that I had with 1577 is gone with 6160. Great work and a great program.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Returnil still doing fine here,very stable ! Installed Returnil again after trialing Shadow Defender and the mesh it created on my systems.

23. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Mesh it created on your system? Care to elborate? The comments at the Shadow Defender Thread seems to be all positive :)

24. rendez2k

New beta now working with IDE/SATA drives - good work! Whats the deal with the free business licence for helping with the betas :)

25. Coldmoon

Thanks for the confirmation rendez2k. The offer is for a free, one-year license for the Business Edition for those testers who provide consistent feedback that helps us to improve the software for all users as a thank you for thier efforts.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.