Returnil antivirus

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Max Payne, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Payne

Max Payne Registered Member

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the AV component of returnil conflicts with any antivirus program that you already have installed on your PC or does it only operate in the 'virtual environment'?.

Do you have to turn off your resident antivirus program you already have installed to use returnil.

Thanks

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've not seen any conflicts, but my own experience is limited.

The primary mode for a "conflict" that I've noticed is an AV with some level of program/application control interrupting the installation procedure, yielding a failed to incomplete install or uninstall. My own recommendation is to pause the real time protection of an installed AV during an RVS install or uninstall.

The embedded RVS AV is either active or inactive all the time. This is a user defined setting.
    I've not seen issues with both active, but it's a bit overkill. I'd tend to go with one or the other.

Blue

3. Max Payne

Max Payne Registered Member

Thanks for that Blue. I was always of the opinion that you should not run two AV programs as they may conflict.

I take it that the AV program in returnil actually operates in the 'whole' system and not just in the virtual system?.

I take it the best suggestion is turn off the returnil AV and continue to use the one I have already installed.

Thanks again

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't see any good reason to run 2 AV's on the same computer. If you think your resident AV needs help, get a different AV. Either that or uninstall it and run Returnil 2005 with the AV activated. :)

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My experience has been that Virus Guard causes Prevx 3.0 scans to slow down dramatically when Virus Guard is enabled.

I would like to see a couple of options added to RVS 2010 regarding the use of Virus Guard: -

1. An option not to install Virus Guard and free up the additional memory that it must be consuming.
    2. An option to link Virus Guard to System Safe, so that Virus Guard is only turned on when in Virtual System mode.

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi pegr,
    If you deactivate PrevX, do you still have the slowdown issues?

Mike

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Yes. It makes no difference whether Prevx real-time protection is enabled or disabled. Prevx scans almost grind to a halt whenever VirusGuard is active.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Ok, will ask the team to check on this.

Thanks
    Mike

9. korben

korben Registered Member

When VG active -> refreshing of the folders in my docs takes significantly more time than ususal. I disabled it and... back to normal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.