Returnil and Shadow Defender in the same time - possible?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by SafetyFirst, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Returnil can virtualize only the system partition, Shadow Defender can virtualize all partitions - I want SD.

Returnil can wipe all disk changes on restart, Shadow Defender can't - I want Returnil.

Can I have the best from both worlds? Can I run them simultaneously? Is it possible?

If it is, what would be the right sequence of events? Virtualize data partions first (using SD) and then virtualize the system partition (using Returnil) or vice versa? Would I still be able to commit changes made to data partitions if Shadow Defender is virtualized itself (residing on the system partition) by Returnil? I guess not.

It gets complicated. Any ideas?

2. icr

icr Registered Member

I think SD also does the same thing unless you have has selected the given disk in shadow mode:)

And even if both softwares are compatible with eachother (which I feel it will def not be compatible) I won't recommend in running both of these softwares;)

3. SafetyFirst

I am not quite sure I understand this... can you explain, please? :doubt:

Edit: I just got this idea - if I exclude Shadow Defender folder (and all its files) in Returnil, then SD would be able to run unvirtualized by Returnil and so SD could normally virtualize data partitions and commit changes to them.

Still, the rest of the system partition would be virtualized by Returnil and all disk changes would be wiped on restart.

Do you see any flaws in my logic? :doubt:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi SafetyFirst,
    RVS and SD are incompatible and trying the combination is not recommended. At best you are looking at one or both failing; at worst you might run into a direct driver conflict that could make the computer non-bootable without advanced intervention/correction.

Look for multi-partition/disk virtualization in the next series that is based on the tech being tested in RVS Labs now. If you want to try Labs (open to all), shoot us an e-mail request for evaluation licensing to the usual support address: support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com.

Mike

5. SafetyFirst

Mike, thank you very much for your advice. :thumb:

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

My understanding of SD is that unless I specifically choose to 'exclude' something, thereby allowing it to pass through to the hard drive, everything magically disappears when I reboot.
    Hope this helps.

7. SafetyFirst

Yes, I know that. The difference between Returnil and SD (if I get it correctly) is that SD simply deletes the changes (leaving them recoverable by undelete tools) while Returnil has an option to securely wipe (erase, overwrite) everything. Therefore, Returnil has safer security/privacy policy.

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Coldmoon,

I hope this will be OPTIONAL - I have another OS and data partitions on multiple drives that I do not want to virtualize.

Running the free version at the moment.

9. SafetyFirst

Of course, you'll be able to choose which partitions to virtualize, like you can do it with SD now.

10. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

11. SafetyFirst

If I understand it correctly, I can have them both on the same system, just I mustn't run them in the same time, right?

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldn't because you will have both drivers installed. No telling what may or may not happen.

13. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The incompatibility will most likely manifest with a direct driver conflict that will probably result in a blue screen. If you are going to test this type of configuration, I would suggest doing so in a throw-away VM with VMWare or other testing environment...

Mike

14. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I have both right now, Returnil is active SD inactive, there is no problem, however I'm not going to activate both at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.