Returnil and FDISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I second this posters satisfaction with your Team's skillful intelligence and careful design that went into FD-ISR.

Please pass to the development team our sincere interest in "ONLY" their releases of ISR programs and it's a sure bet they could count on a loyal allegiance for the products Leapfrog puts out.

And tell them they are in a league of their own where concerns ISR technologies bar none. This is no downplay in some popular opposition against competitors, but your Team's diligence and programming expertise extend & transend any others in this department as evident of the continued satisfaction & confidence that can always be relied on to come thru when needed as well as expected.

I challenge any others to even remotely match this level of overall perfection that's gone into program's like FD-ISR!!!

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Agreed, Easter. FD-ISR was years ahead of the curve. I firmly believe that, unlike most security type software that's obsolete a year later, the last several builds of fd-isr up to Build 205, will be good for many years to come.

If I didn't get Build 205, I'd have no hesitation or concerns in using Build 173 that I still have. Great software. I can't imagine how I lived without it.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Nothing but good about the dead. ;)

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is such a thing as software reincarnation or resurrection! :cool:

Acadia

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Certainly, it's generally referred to as rerelease and the same things drive it as drive an original release, market forces.

Blue

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also refered to as wishful thinking and highly unlikely

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But it's Christmas! ... Ok, so as not to offend, it's the Holiday season! :doubt:

Acadia

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You know the old saying, be grateful for what you did receive and that it's still just as useful as the day you received it.

And also, consider this, stranger things have happened in the software world.

9. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

Thanks for all the great comments.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I make it point like many others before me to express only the deepest gratitude for something on such a level as FD-ISR is proven out to be. This is been no flash in the pan and certainly nothing resembling ordinary by any stretch in the Windows world of computing, but the most BRILLIANTLY devised ISR that is ever been conceived.

Here we are many months down the road and this program continues to reign supreme in 100% total recovery return from the most disastrous of encounters be they whatever.

This one will continue to stand the test of time. As i see it, at least where concerns XP/XP Pro etc. this app possesses an indefinite life span as-is beyond even radiation decay period. :cool:

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have revived this thread because I just downloaded and started reading the Returnil manual ... interesting.

Got a couple of questions for the FDISR pros because I see in this thread Todd (Leapfrog) stated that Returnil and FDISR play nicely together. These questions pertain only to the original FDISR that allowed multiple bootable Snapshots.

Question number one: does Returnil virtualize the entire c:drive including all FDISR Snapshots, or only the particular Snapshot that you are in?

Question number two: how would using the Freeze feature in FDISR affect Returnil? Would rebooting with both the Freeze of FDISR and Returnil in use have the possibility of confusing the system and messing things up?

Thanks,
    Acadia

12. ErikAlbert

I don't fully agree with Todd, because the function "Boot to Snapshot" isn't working properly anymore,
    unless you turn Returnil OFF.

If you don't turn Returnil OFF, you have to wait for the "F1"-key to boot to another snapshot.
    It isn't a serious problem at all, you have to like this or not.
    Returnil only works for the snapshot, where it is installed.
    Because FDISR can only have ONE frozen snapshot, I used that function for my on-line snapshot (= 2nd snapshot), but I also wanted to keep my off-line snapshot (= 1st snapshot) unchanged.
    So I installed Returnil in my off-line snapshot and it worked, but I was not happy with the crippled "Boot to snapshot" and turning on/off Returnil or waiting for the F1-key was not conventient for me.

So the freeze doesn't screw up Returnil.
    Installing Returnil and using freeze in the SAME snapshot is of course absurd.

The mistake is made in FDISR, it should have had multiple frozen snapshots instead of just ONE.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Erik. :)

Acadia

14. Peter2150

Couple of comments.

Yes Returnil and FDISR do play well together. I am not surprised you can't swap FDISR snapshot while Returnil protection is active. Actually not sure why you'd want to.

In many ways what returnil does you can accomplish with FDISR.

Finally while admittedly I haven't tested this, as I am not sure how, Returnil covers the complete C: drive, ie the whole volume. All snapshot are part of that physical volume, so I expect they would be covered. Be something interesting to test.

Pete

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A simple test will prove if Returnil's protection is only snapshot-specific or it covers the entire partition.
    Update an inactive snapshot (i.e. everyone but the one you've booted to) from an archive and check for changes.

16. Peter2150

Okay. I did some testing. It answers the question sort of. I did it with ShadowDefender in liu of Returnil as that was what was installed.

First I had two snapshot, one full, one stripped and could easily see the difference in size.

I then entered shadow mode, shadowing both drives.(The reason for SD in this case). I made a few changes(like wallpaper), and did a copy/update primary to secondary. There was one error which was SD's temp file it uses for storage. Then looking in FDISR, both snapshot were the same size, so it would appear the copy worked. There was no point in trying to boot to secondary, so I just rebooted, and then booted to secondary. It was back as it had been before starting. Booted back and checked in FDISR and it reported snapshots as they had been at the start.

I see no reason Returnil should work the same.

I then went on and entered SD shadow mode again, this time only shadowing the C: drive. Made some cosmetic but easy to identify changes. THen with FDISR I did a copy update to an archive which was on the other drive. Rebooted and c: was back as it was when I started. Booted to secondary, and copy/updated from archive to primary. Booted back and and primary was now as it had been when I was shadowed.

Will this work with returnil. I should think so.

But one thing is clear, the whole c: volume is shadowed and this includes all snapshots.

Pete

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, the newest Returnil even protects the MBR so you are probably correct about all that, Peter, thanks. After reading the Returnil manual (twice) I see no reason for it if you already own FDISR, although Returnil really does seem like a neat product.

Only advantage that I see for Returnil over FDISR would be for those hard up for disk space but if I did not already own FDISR, I would have probably already purchased the Premium Returnil. :cool:

Acadia

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks Peter for the testing. So, we can conclude that:
    - Shadow protection works on a partition basis.
    - To makes changes to a snapshot, you need to disable the protection/go to thawed mode.
    - To get the protection for every snapshot, you need to install your shadow program in every snapshot.
    - If you have the full FD-ISR Workstation with the Freeze function, you only need shadow apps if you want:
    * more than one frozen snapshot (the Freeze function can only be used with one snapshot)
    * a speedier boot-to-restore operation.
    * a boot-to-restore solution which eats less disk space.

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hi all
    Yes agree with the thrust of the recent posts.
    Can confirm that Returnil does do its' job in FDISR snaps

Unless there is some need for multiple "frozen" snapshots, The functions of Returnil offer little extra than FDISR in essence. ...although, having a specific snapshot protected with Returnil has had some advantages for me: base install in an FDISR snapshot > fiddle fiddle fiddle...back to base of that snap with Returnil > Boot back to main system with FDISR.

It can make a difference in imaging utilities wrt size of image, with several ( 10s of Gb taken up with FDISR snaps and a frozen snap...

I confess when I posted the first question, I was still tinkering with 'sandboxing' a specific snapshot, and subsequently realised that really that was not Returnil's brief.

20. Peter2150

My reason for having Shadow Defender with FDISR, which I only use on occasion is two fold.

1) If I want to play around with something that doesn't require rebooting, cleanup is quicker then with FDISR. (minor reason)

2) The main reason is if I am playing with something nasty in the VM machine, there always is a possibility, albeit small, that it could escape to the host. So before I do, I shadow the host. My reason for SD is it shadow's both drives although now with Returnil you can block access to the other drive.

Pete

21. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

HI ERIK(the guru:) )

i get into knowing FDISR late ...but now i installed it and actuley dont see/understand why its so great in your eyes and some others...its make snapshots like ATI , SP ,DS make and restore them in it sub system (dos mode) like RB and EF do...so what special about it mateo_O?

cheers:cautious:

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  22. ErikAlbert

Do you really want to hear this ? I explained it already so many times, that moderators are removing my repeating posts and members are complaining about me. I don't like to be a target. Malware and bad guys are the target.
    It's all explained over 8000+ posts. IB + ISR = finished and terminated successfully.

I'm working on something else now, I needed a new challenge. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.