Retail Copies of Office 2013 Are Tied To a Single Computer Forever

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JeffreyCole, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Amazingly, the sheep still rule! I recently bought a Blu-ray burner and the review said "to be noted, as most, this is a 3 sheep burner". I laughed at first and then i thought "wait a minute, this means that CloneCD still exists and rules?" :D :D :D

2. guest

guest Guest

However it is named ... you know what I meant, don't you? - What could MS possibly invent to make you buy a new version of <whatever> in 2014 or 2015? - The thing is they don't need to worry about it if you buy a subscription in advance! :D

If someone does know a good Linux book to start the switch from Microsoft please let me know (PM)! :D

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Oh I believe that the channel between Office 365 customers and Microsoft is much better. I believe that they act on that feedback much quicker. There will be room for improvements for a long time.

4. Fuzzfas

Honestly, i think people who will want pirated Office, won't give a damn about the exlusive services, just like i have several friends with pirated Windows, that never cared to update Windows or patch a game.

I 'd go further, but i know already how it will end and i don't have time for a long discussion again.

In a way though, i envy you. I am not saying it ironically. I mean it. Because you enjoy all this.

5. Wild Hunter

That's possible as well. But if they add enough nice services, at reasonable prices, with options that respect user diversity, more real customers will come to them... the current services of Office 365 are already tempting me and I'm very exigent! ;)

6. guest

guest Guest

Oh, I would DONATE even monthly :D if they secured him and put him behind bars in a closed institution so MS could finally get back on the right track and leave all the Ballmer madness behind!? :D

7. Fuzzfas

We ll know soon... Not that i hold my breath. :D

8. Wild Hunter

Not all this. I don't enjoy watching them selling retail copies tied with a single computer forever, but for the same usual "astronomical" prices.

9. guest

guest Guest

Great! Nicely avoided an answer! :D

So the channel was the problem then? There are still ideas how to bloat Word & Co. even more? :eek: With functions that aren't used by 99,5 % of customers? :D

We will see how this works out for MS. :p

10. Wild Hunter

It was less "connected", wasn't it? :)

I'm sure there are more ideas. But roadmaps of such projects are closed and full of secrets...

Besides that, for now the "services" part of the combo will probably get even more active development to attract more real customers.

More real customers = bigger budget = happier and richer investors = more money to research, cheaper subscription prices and better deals overall! Yay, everyone wins. :p

11. Fuzzfas

Look at it as "necessary evil", in order to make the transition to subscription more "voluntary". When you leave only 1 option to people, people get upset, they feel like "blackmailed". If you give them 2, with one the most obvious one, they bitch, but they feel able to choose.

12. guest

guest Guest

So I understand you have no ideas what you could miss in a year or two if they don't implement it. - Why buying a subscription? Just because "retail" license will die with the system first installed on?

They just want to MILK you and you are going to say happily: "Muh!"? :D

If you don't miss a feature NOW you don't really need it. - If you need things because they are announced .. well .. you know the name for those? :D

I say and predict they will have a big problem to make people buy things if they don't really need it. Let alone make them buy subscriptions. - A 7-year-old could understand how that scheme is supposed to work, right?

Well .. I don't need services if they are just invented to justify a higher price. But then I am no cow, what do I know! :D

Don't you see what's wrong with that theory? ;) - Or is this a joke that I didn't understand? :D

13. guest

guest Guest

I feel blackmailed and see that they try to outsmart and prank me. How this is going to help them make me a customer again is a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

You obviously have to be crazy Ballmer to believe that this could work! :D

14. Wild Hunter

Because I find the services and the deal appealing in value? Because I believe in the potential of the whole set (customers, company, etc) to improve more and more? Because I can cancel it anytime and move on to "alternatives" if I don't want the whole thing anymore?

Oh. Nope. One's own limited imagination can be easily outperformed. Surprises happen.

15. Wild Hunter

But options aren't a very strong point of Office 365 either. It isn't 100% ready for the user diversity. At this point, Office 365 for "non-commercial uses" comes in only 2 flavors!! This needs to improve.

16. Fuzzfas

You think too much. Stop it! :D

I m pretty sure Balmer would gladly have a meteorite fall on your house, rather than having to convince you about his good intentions. :D

He's just glad that you 're not the mainstream user.

17. Fuzzfas

I mean, choose between subscription and "PC lifetime" license.

18. Wild Hunter

I'm not even thinking about the retail licenses anymore. I just don't like to see people feel cheated.

19. Wild Hunter

This made me laugh so hard that my eyes started to tear! LOL

20. guest

guest Guest

The ones that you don't even know yet? ;) - You are buying software per subscription and are speculating on further improvements? - Is this a new sport? :D - Is your trust in them big enough to buy stocks in great quantities? :D

Huh? In your company Microsoft earns the money? I thought people worked with MS software? - They will be busy understanding the newest plot of the latest bloat release you got for your subscriptions. A new seminar to hold.

And if it needs to improve it is not really good right now? Why buying it then now? Why trusting them your money in advance? - Are you their bank? :D

I know the answer .. you are .. one of those! :D

Wait for it .. this will be the next big thing in 2014 ... you can't then cancel the subscription anymore, it is not lifetime license but lifetime customer! :D

And see I thought until now MS Office is a tool to get work done? :argh: - I think to you it's a hobby (having always the newest evolution of that product and playing with new features) and of course there is nothing wrong with that. ;)

But if this is the customer MS is counting on I don't know if share holders are gonna be so happy! :D

Regarding that meteorite .. I guess much more people are rooting for Ballmer getting very flat than hoping that a certain subject calling himself guest is annihilated. - Though that might not be true on wilders forum. :D

21. Fuzzfas

The problem is this. Balmer would want everyone to say "yay, no more retails!". But this is not the case. So, he has to make something to make them feel less pressure during the transition. It's the same with Metro. Balmer would love to eliminate the desktop altogether. But there are also elder people out there who use Windows and one may have the heart attack when their grandchild tells them "Desktop? What desktop? There is no desktop! These tiles are all you ll have now granny!". And Balmer being a good guy, he didn't want to have multiple deaths in his conscience. So he thought "make it dual interface, this will make them swallow it easier".

It's the same here. You ll have those who will think "what? subscription?!". So Balmer comes and says "hey, i don't want to hurt your feelings, i care about you. Sure i have a retail license. A bit salty and well, it's now PC lifetime, but, it's up to you! I don't want to force you into a subscription, cause i respect you".

How to say, you don't bluntly threaten people. It's bad for business, it's bad for your reputation, it's bad for your karma. You make them an offer they can't refuse. :D

22. Wild Hunter

I'm not buying it now guest, I'm waiting for more flavors of Office 365 for "non-commercial uses" that better satisfy my needs and cost less. If they never get released, I may never get into it.

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

office 2013 is already "cracked" there is already a tool to activate and use it via kms activation same for windows 8. already done. this will not stop anyone. just like the riaa and mpaa will imo never stop all the downloading all over the net. i dont agree with it but i know better the pirates will always be thinking one step ahead with the "what if" then "we will do this". they brought cinavia for blu ray protection and 2 companies already have a patch in the works to be able to once again copy YOUR OWN LEGALLY OWNED MOVIES to have as a backup. this is one area where i get overly mad. i have young kids and i refuse to buy a movie to have it destroyed by a 5 or 6 year old in 2 weeks to have to buy another one. so i buy the movie and make a backup and this is what gets given to the kids. if they destroy it i have the original and make them another.

to add reg the elderly i have more people than i can even prob remember that have already brought in a brand new pc to have me roll them back or install win 7 over 8. even if i try to convince them otherwise they are not hearing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.