Resume from Standby Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cammy, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cammy

cammy Registered Member

After Installing ATI 11 Home I have noticed that my pc does not resume from standby if the pc has been in standby for longer periods of time, typically overnight. There is no problem with resuming after a few hours of standby.

Of course, I can't say with certainty that ATI is to blame, but it is the only new software I have installed recently so it seems like a likely suspect.

I found a thread in this forum from 2005 with the same problem. Unfortunately,
    the poster was directed to contact Acronis and no solution was given in the thread.

So, Anyone else having this problem? I'm going to kill off the Acronis processes tonight before I put my pc to sleep and see what happens. It is too bad that each one of these "tests" will take 8 hours or more. If anyone knows anything that could save me some time here, I'd appreciate the help.

Edit: I'm Running XP home.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Standby, especially S3 standby, is a not quite perfected technology. It's mucfh better now than it was a few years ago but it's still a lot of spit, luck, and duct tape masquerading as a "feature." The odds of tracking down what is affecting it are remote, imo. It could be an Adobe updater conflicting with Standby but only when certain ATI elements are installed.

If you thinks it's really ATI. Restore your hardisk to an image jsut prior to installing ATI. The msconfg everything in startup and servces except windows servives and reboot and then install ATI. Then msconfg everything back and reboot. This is the way you can most likely get a succesful and clean install.

3. cammy

cammy Registered Member

I am not at all convinced ATI is to blame here, but I don't have much else to work with. I was hoping that by posting the problem others might chime in. I would then have more confidence that ATI is causing the problem.

Unfortunately, I am new to ATI and I dont have any way to restore to a state before an ATI 11 installation.

So, last night I killed off the three Acronis processes from process explorer and put my pc to sleep. It did not wake up again this morning. However, I didn't realize Acronis runs as a service, so I will try stopping that tonight and let you know what happens.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cammy and Shieber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

We'd like to inform you that all Acronis Services installed on the system are listening services. They actually wait for the main program to to give them certain commands, but they don't start anything themselves. Therefore, we don't expect Acronis True Image to be a cause of failing restore.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

5. cammy

cammy Registered Member

Last night I shut down the 2 acronis services, including try and decide, and the three other processes. My computer woke from standby this morning fine.

Since s3 standby is such a finicky thing, I know one successful resume is not conclusive, but I am hopeful I have identified the problem. I'll update further if the problem reappears or doesn't.

In the mean time, I'm going to assume Acronis is the problem. Fortunately, I only perform manual backups and I don't really need Acronis running all the time. I currently run the manual backups from a shortcut to an Acronis task. One double click at the time of my choosing. Very simple. I would like my backups to remain this simple ( this process is for family and friends too, so it needs to be simple ). What can I do to start up all the Acronis processes and then start the backup at the same time, then kill off all the processes when the backup is done. Is there some sort of script I can write? It seems like a simple thing to do, but my windows skills are poor. Thanks.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cammy,

Thank you for the provided information.

We are syrry for the inconvenience, but Acronis True Image 11 Home doesn't support scripting. Therefore, it seems that you will have to turn off the program services manually.

Please accept our apologies.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

7. cammy

cammy Registered Member

The Standby problems have not reappeared yet with the Acronis processes turned off. I'll of course post back if they do.

I wrote my first batch file in order to start up Acronis, start a back up task, then shutdown all the Acronis processes after the task is done. It seems to work. I realize its probably an ugly piece of code, but i thought I'd post it to get some feedback. And perhaps, someone may find all or part of it useful. The batch file uses the pskill command which can be downloaded from microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PsTools.mspx

Other than that, the file should run on an XP home SP2 pc. It did on mine at least. "xxxxxxxxxxxxx" must be replaced with a real back up task.

Code:

@echo off

REM * Starting Acronis
    echo Stating Acronis True Image Home 11......

START C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe start AcrSch2Svc
    echo Scheduler2 Service

START "" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\Schedhlp.exe"
    echo Schedhlp.exe

START "" "C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe"
    echo TimounterMonitor.exe

START "" "C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    echo TrueimageMonitor.exe

REM * Pause to make sure everything is up and running
    ping 1.1.1.1 -n 5 -w 1000 >NUL

REM * Starting Backup Task
    echo .
    echo Starting Back Up Task. This may take a while. You can check on the progress from the Icon Tray.
    Start /wait "" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tib.tis"
    echo .
    echo Backup Task Complete. You may want to check to see that there are no errors before proceeding.

REM * Get user input before killing Acronis
    echo .
    echo If Acronis True Image Home is open, you should close it when you are ready to shutdown the rest of Acronis.
    echo Remember to safely remove your external hard drive, then turn it off.
    echo .

:start
    set /p userinp=Are you ready to shutdown Acronis? ( [y] or [n] ):
    set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
    if "%userinp%"=="y" goto 1
    if "%userinp%"=="n" goto 2
    echo invalid choice
    goto start
    :1
    REM * Killing Acronis
    pskill Schedhlp.exe
    pskill TimounterMonitor.exe
    pskill TrueImageMonitor.exe
    START C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe  stop AcrSch2Svc
    goto end
    :2
    echo If for some reason you want to leave Acronis running, just kill this window.
    goto start
    :end 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.