RESTRICTED SITES NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by voxpop, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voxpop

voxpop Registered Member

my spyware blaster says that ie, firefox and restricted sites are protection enabled..however my *restricted sites* says there are 718 un-protected sites! when i click on the empty boxes to enable the protection A: they are in red and B: nothing changes when i check these empty boxes..how do i protect the 718 sites they say are un-protected?
    thanx, voxpop

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

could u list your other anti-spyware apps please?

snowbound

3. Tabytha

Tabytha Registered Member

Well I didn't originally make this post, but I, like Voxpop, am having the same problem. In SpywareBlaster, it says that I have restricted sites proteciton enabled, yet 2613 items have protection disabled. The top checkbox, "Restrict the actions of ad/tracking/potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer" is checked, but beneath that, where it has the list of sites and directs you that "you can selectively disable protection for items by unchecking them", NONE of those items have a check. I have tried to check them manually and click "protect against checked items", but it removes my check, leaving me fully unprotected still.

I DO NOT use Spysweeper (to answer in advance, as I have read the posts about the conflicts with that program). Related to virus/adware/spyware I use SpywareBlaster, SpyBot Search & Destroy, AVG Free Edition antivirus, and Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Any assistance that may be provided to help me resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Tabytha....Welcome to Wilders :thumb:

As you may know "2613 items" is the total amount of entries contained in Spywareblasters Restricted Sites database. Given that fact....the only program of the 3 that you listed that I am not totally sure of is "AVG Free Edition antivirus". Do you know if it has some type of resident shield that may be preventing the additions of the Restricted Sites being added to the registry ?

Also....given my knowledge of Spywareblaster and it's Restricted Sites protection I do know that not being able to properly enable that feature can only be prevented by an external program. Having said that....would you list any other programs such as firewall and such that might not fall under your defintion of "virus/adware/spyware" related Please.

Bubba

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Bubba, I use AVG Free Edition Antivirus and it has never caused an issue with SpywareBlaster and its restricted sites protection. Some other program is most likely the cause as you suggest.

6. Tabytha

Thanks for your quick reply Bubba.

Besides the programs that I listed in my previous post, I am not using any other security related programs at all (I DO have the standard Windows firewall "on"). I have had SpywareBlaster installed on my computer for well over a year, and didn't previously have this issue. I haven't installed any new programs recently, but as I didn't notice the issue until the day that I made the post, I don't really know when the issue started (I just did not notice the "restricted sites" issue until yesterday--that will teach me to not pay closer attention--if I had been paying closer attention, I would probably know exactly which program is causing the conflict!)

I can send you a list of all the programs that I have installed on my computer, and maybe something could be figured out from that. If you want a list of all programs installed, just let me know if you would prefer for me to post it openly or to send it to you privately (it is a bit lengthy, lol)

Also, I didn't think to mention it in my first post, but before I made the post, I did also try a clean install of SpywareBlaster, but that also did not resolve the issue.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

At this time I do not feel that's necessary but there is a chance after answering a few questions and trying a couple of things it might have to be considered eventually :doubt:

Questions ?

1) What operating system
    2) If you open up Internet Explorer and go to Tools\Internet Options\Security tab and then select\highlight Restricted sites Web content zone and then the Sites button....are any sites listed ?

8. Helen~

Helen~ Registered Member

I was successful in enabling restricted sites in SpywareBlaster by temporarily exiting SpySweeper.

You mentioned that you don't have SpySweeper, but you might try disabling any other anti malware program that you use long enough to enable protection in Spyware Blaster.

Like you, I didn't have a problem until a couple months ago and reinstalling Spyware Blaster didn't help.

9. Tabytha

1)I'm using Windows XP Pro (Service Pack2)
    2)There are no sites listed under restricted sites on the Security tab

And here's a question of my own:
    I know it would be a bit of time-consuming work for myself, but as a possible "work-around" alternative, at least temporarily, if I manually type in all of the .com sites from the SpywareBlaster "restricted sites" list in the restricted sites part of the Security tab of Internet Options, would that provide the same protection that I would be getting from that specific part of SpywareBlaster? I don't know if that came out very clearly...I hope you can sort of decipher that and figure out what I mean. I'm not talking about uninstalling SpywareBlaster, just an alternative means of getting the protection from the part of SpywareBlaster that I'm having issues with.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks....and as for your "work-around"....now that I know there are no sites listed, my next suggestion was going to be to attempt to add an entry to IE manually. After manually adding an entry to IE's Restricted Zone....close ALL Internet Explorer windows and then re-open IE. Do you still see that Restricted Site entry you manually added ?

If not....some external program is preventing this addition or there may be a XP policy set preventing this addition. We'll wait till you have attempted to add the site manually before suggesting further.

11. Tabytha

Okay, this is VERY weird....I was preparing to do as you suggested and I opened SpywareBlaster to get the (www) of one of the sites listed in their "restricted" database to go ahead and try to enter it to be restricted in IE and when I got SpywareBlaster open....it now shows that I have zero items with protection disabled in the restricted sites section!!!

I closed the program and re-opened it several times to make sure that it wasn't some sort of fluke, and it has been working properly every time. I have no explanation for this, as I have neither installed nor un-installed anything on my computer since first posting my issue here (nor have I changed any settings or anything like that...everything is exactly as it was the day that I reported my issue!)....it is the strangest thing!

At any rate, although I cannot even begin to guess or understand why my issue has suddenly spontaneously resolved itself, I guess I should just be thankful that it is working properly now, lol.

I cannot thank you enough for giving me so much of your time and expertise in trying to help me resolve my issue. I sincerely appreciate your help.
    THANK YOU!!!!!

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Exactly :thumb:

You are very Welcome.

13. editus

editus Registered Member

I had the same problem and when I turned Webroot Spysweeper off, checked all the sites, they then stayed checked and nothing was left unchecked. Obviously SpySweeper didn't let the change occur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.