Restoring to new computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by moh, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moh

moh Registered Member

I use Acronis True Image V10 Build 4942 on a computer with operating system Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2. I intend to buy a new computer with the new Vista operating system preinstalled (OEM) on it.

Is it possible to transfer everything except the operating system from my old to my new computer so that all the applications that I had on my old computer continue to work on my new computer without having to reinstall them? If so, how?

2. random110

random110 Registered Member

Sadly, this is simply not possible. You can use Acronis to migrate some of your settings, but there is no way to get around re-installing your programs.

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

the only way to transfer your programs/applications to a new computer without having to reinstall it is to use a migrating program , incidently microsoft windows has a beta program that can do that.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...eb-4e37-4be0-adfc-786786e73e50&DisplayLang=en

true image won't transfer any programs/applications to another hard drive (only entire partitions and backup selected folders)

But there are programs out there that will do what you want, but you need to make sure you get one that is vista compatible. The latest laplink pcmover is vista ready, but they are expensive.

4. moh

moh Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt and useful replies.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello moh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image is a disaster recovery software. As random110 and jonyjoe81 explained, it's possible to transfer some application settings using Acronis True Image, but to trasfer complete applications to a different operating system you need specialized for that purpose programs.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.