Restoring to a different hard drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Skyhawk, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

I did an image backup (not clone) of my F: hard drive to an external hard drive. I happen to have an identical model empty hard drive installed as G:. I wanted to restore the backup to the G: drive to be sure it works. It is a data only drive.

But the only choice TI-8 gives me is to restore back to the F: drive. Is there a way I can restore to the G: drive without having to recable the drives?

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

2. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

when you get to the restore to option change the F: designation to G:, and next should appear if it doesnt you may have to name it.

3. Skyhawk

When the screen to select the drive to restore to comes up, the only option looks like:

( ) Disk 3
    .....( ) Data F: drive size and other data...

There is no text box to enter a different drive number.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

4. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

are you using the CD to boot from and restore ?

does acronis see the drive in windows, you may have to add the drive from the acronis program!

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Skyhawk,

When you start a restore, the first selection is the image file to be used for the restoration. On the next screen, you select the partition to be restored from within the selected image file. Namely, the image file could carry more than one partition image, but since you imaged only F: you are seeing just that and you should select it. Now you are done with selecting the source; it's only further from here that you will start dealing with the destination.

Edit: No, sorry. Later I noted you saying "the screen to select the drive to restore to" in post #3.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  6. Skyhawk

That's an idea. I was running TI8 directly in WinXP Pro since I was trying to restore a data only drive. I'll try the bootable CD and see if there's other options.

Hey, I gotta verify that it sees the other drive too.

Thanks for the ideas Mac25. I'll post my results,
    Skyhawk

7. Skyhawk

Tried the above.

Restore from rescue CD:
    Tried a rescue CD which was created using TrueImage-9. It has the same problem of only offering the original drive to restore to.

Does acronis see the drive in windows?
    Yes, TI-8 and the TI-9 rescue CD both see all hard drives on the PC.

ACRONIS TECH SUPPORT:
    ------------------------
    Is what I want to do possible? Is there a non-obvious way to do it? Would very much appreciate an official answer.

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Skyhawk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that it is possible to restore the image of the disk/partition to another disk/partition and both Acronis True Image 8.0 and Acronis True Image 9.0 Home provide you with this ability. The step-by-step instructions are described in the Chapter 6.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

On one of the steps of the Restoration Wizard you should first select which disk/partition to restore and then on the next step select the target disk/partition where you want to restore the selected image. I have created screen shots of this two windows of the wizard (see below).

If you do not get the option to restore to another partition please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. Please also make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected report file along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears (create screen shots if possible) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.