Restoring SSD drive image from USB1 to USB2 - Help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dcoughler, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcoughler

dcoughler Registered Member

I have a Netbook with a 4GB SSD that I've backed up with Acronis True Image 11 Home edition. It is running from a bootable 8GB USB stick. I would like to take that image, and restore it onto a 4GB USB drive.

When I try to boot the netbook from the 8GB stick and restore the image to the 4GB stick, the image only wants to restore onto the netbook's SSD drive. My netbook is on Linux, and the only Windows machine I currently have access to is running Windows Server 2003, which is not compatible with the Home version.

Aside from tracking down an XP box, what are my options?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Can the server 2003 PC boot from a USB stick? If so, try the operation there. The fact that the machine is running Windows Server 2003 is irrelevant. When you boot the machine from the USB stick it is running Linux and does not care what OS is installed to the machine's hard disk. But the Acronis boot environment might have better driver support for the hardware in your server. Apparently it does not have proper support for the hardware in your netbook.

If you get the image to restore to a USB disk that might not be sufficient. Some of the Linux distros are capable of booting from a USB drive, so you might be OK. Or, you might have to consult documentation or a forum for your distro to see how to boot from USB.

3. dcoughler

dcoughler Registered Member

Well, let me add some more info.

The Netbook is an ASUS EEE running a ASUS customized flavor of Xandros. I can boot the EEE from the 8GB stick, run Acronis from it, and restore the image to the EEE's SSD.

When True Image is looking for an image to restore (again, while booted from the 8GB stick), it can see all of my drives - both USB drives, my Netbook's SSD, and even the SD card that is in the built-in SD card reader.

When I try to choose the destination drive, I am only able to select the SSD, regardless if I choose a file/directory restore, or a sector-by-sector restore.

I mention the Windows 2003 system because I thought that maybe if I installed the full application (instead of the bootable version) onto a PC, I might have better luck.

Thanks!

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I'm not sure why that's happening, but you could try other techniques to find one that works. For example, try the restore when booted to the "Safe" mode version of TI instead of the "Full" mode version. For that to work, your EEE PC would have to enumerate USB devices at boot time; some machines do this. Try another machine if this is unsuccessful.

Where is the image file currently stored; on the 8 GB stick? If you have room, can you copy it to the SSD? Then boot the machine from the 8 GB stick and remove the stick. Plug in the 4 GB stick and try a restoration from the SSD to the 4 GB stick.

I can recall having to futz around to be able to successfully back up and restore USB flash drives, but eventually it did work. I think I used Windows to create the image and bootable safe mode to restore the image but I'm not positive. As with anything involving USB, the results are highly dependent on how your BIOS supports USB.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Some USB drives report themselves as removable and some don't. If they report themselves as removable they are often not available to have OS's imaged to them.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dcoughler,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 11 Home

You can use Acronis True Image 11 Home to backup data on USB flash card only if it is formatted as a hard disk drive. (A hard disk drive has a partition table). You can use Windows Disk Management for this purpose. Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management. Select flash drive and choose format.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.