Restoring Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by palm_programs, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palm_programs

palm_programs Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a new user of True IMage. I had purchased because I try many diffferent programs and then eventually keep only a few - CD burning, DVD Burnig, etc... So my goal was to make a backup of my ideal configuration which I can restore every so often and then start expermenting again.

So far, I have tried to restore from TI three times. All three times the restoration completes without any problems, but when its Boot time for XP, I inevitably get some errors messages. I beleive the first time it was himem.sys (?) missing and the last two times it has been NTDLR missing. This has become very frustating.

AFter searching on goodle I stumbled onto this forum and I found the thread that dealt with NTDLR problem. So, armed with some new information I am going to try to restore again and keep my fingers crossed.

So my concern is that my computer does not have a floppy drive. When I built the system, I figured who needs floppies anymore when you can boot from CD (probably a mistake now in hindsight). So if I get the NTLDR missng problem, what are my options for editing boot.ini? Should I do something different during restore?

2. Colin Finck

Colin Finck Registered Member

In most cases the following helps:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD and boot from it.
    2. Press R to load the Recovery Console.
    3. Select the desired Windows system and enter your Administrator password.
    4. Enter the following commands:

fixmbr
    fixboot

5. Reboot your computer.

These commands write a new Master Boot Record into the hard drive and a new Boot Sector into the Windows partition.

Best regards,

Colin Finck

3. palm_programs

palm_programs Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Collin.
    I tried pressing R for the recovery console, but it asks me to insert some floppy disks that I was supposed to have created earlier. I don't have a floppy drive in my machine at all. Any other suggestions?
    OR
    Should I go buy a floppy drive?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello palm_programs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please note that such problems usually arise if the partition layout of the destination hard drive is different from that of the disk this particular image archive is originally taken from. We therefore recommend that you restore the entire hard drive image (check the box near the hard drive's name) or re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive. The size of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity has to be the same. In case you restore system partition separately, please make sure that you restore it to the partition of the same number it was originally resided on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

If the above does not help and the restored operating system still does not boot then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download Acronis Report Utility and run it on any "healthy" computer;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from this beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

We recommend that you borrow a floppy drive, if possible of course, in order perform the above actions. Otherwise, please install the hard drive having the issue, i.e. disk where non-bootable restored operating system is located, in any other "healthy" computer, i.e. computer that can boot into Windows, and create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the report.txt file collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.