Restoring over-sized images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AlexM., Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexM.

AlexM. Registered Member

Is there any way to restore an image for a partition that is larger than the target drive?

I have a backup of a partition that's 90GB, but with only about 2.5 GB being used. I want to restore this onto a bare 70GB drive. Acronis won't let me do it, however, since the 90GB size is larger than the 70GB available drive space. Is there any way to force this, since it obviously WILL fit in the 70 GB of available space? (Exploring the backup from windows and copying the files by hand is not an option since the image is ReiserFS which Windows won't read.)

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

None that I know of.

Don't you have friend with some free disk space? Restore the image on his disk, resize it down to 60 GB, and create a new, smaller image?

3. JodieM

JodieM Registered Member

When you've got it on a larger drive, go the defrag and assorted junk removal before resizing.
    Is it the OS partition? If not, then you could get 2000 or XP up and running and make the destination a compressed drive before restoring.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AlexM,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

It is very strange that Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to resize partitions. Could you please tell whether the image was created in sector-by-sector mode or in ordinary way? If it was created not in sector-by-sector please send the screenshots of your actions in "Restore Image" wizard to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.