Restoring Linux Files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bob-m, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

I made an Image of my Linux partition on 2 cds. Also copied these cd .tib files to the hard drive in the W98 partition. Is there any way to extract individual files? If I use the Acronis install disk as a boot disk, there is no option to "Explore Image".

If I start to "Restore Image", the only destination I can select is the original ext3 partition on the hard drive. If I created another ext3 partition, could I do the full restore to that partition and later use Linix to copy files from there?

Is Acronis working on a true "Explore Image" for Linux files?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bob-m,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

You do not need to prepare partition to restore to. Acronis True Image deletes the existing partition and creates the new one. If you have unallocated space on the hard disk you may use it to restore the partition. Otherwise you need to indicate the partition you want to be replace with the new one.

Please note that Ext3 is unknown file system for Windows so you will not be able to assign a letter for it under Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

4. Acronis Support

Hello bob-m,

Please make sure you have the unallocated space (this is space without file system, not just free space) and its size is enough for the image content. If this is the case and you still cannot restore the image please send the screenshots of your actions to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

So, you are saying that it is possible to restore the image to someplace other than its original location. That is good news. But you mention 'unallocated space'. Does that mean that I do not need to create another empty .ext3 partition?

I still do not see an option appearing on the screen allowing me to choose unallocated space. Are you thinking about using Acronis Secure Zone? Which I currently do not have on this computer.

6. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

I am trying to upload a screen shot. It is not going well.
    I click "Manage attachments" below, browse to the .jpg picture, click "Upload" and the browser gives me the equivalent of the windows hourglass for about 5 minutes. It is only 43k, so something must be wrong.
    Maybe I will try again from another browser.

7. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

Ok, this time it seemed to upload the screen shot. Problem is I don't see it. It shows that there is only one choice when trying to restore using True Image.

I uploaded a 2nd image of the Drive Image screen. It allowed me to put the saved image in unallocated area, and DI made a ext3 partition there. I am sure True Image can do that, but how do I select the unallocated area?

The warden says I can only upload 1 image per post, so I will send the image in the next post.

Attached Files:

• ti.jpg
      ti.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  8. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

This is the Drive Image Image, but that is obvious, isn't it?

Attached Files:

9. Acronis Support

Hello bob-m,

According to the screenshots you have 31 Mb in the unallocated area. It is not enough to restore the image there. That is why you are limited to only one choice.

For further investigation we need to have a look at Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317). Could you please create it and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

The Drive Image screen shot shows the conditions after it used up the available unallocated space, created a second ext3 partition and restored the image to it.. It shows the new partition as \\.\disk2.part4.

The True Image screen shot is titled "Partition or disk to restore". I don't understand whether it is the source (on the CD) or the destination. This morning I cleared out the contents of the new ext3 partition, where there is enough room to restore to. I get the same 1 choice as I had before, when there was only 31Mb free.

I think the problem is in the language used. The Drive Image screen says "Select Destination". I know what that means. It also says "Select unallocated space or drive to restore to" Again, it is understood.
    Adding one word to "Partition or disk to restore", either "to" or "From". would clarify what will happen after I hit the "Next" button.

Since I have never used this product before, I do not know what will happen next. Maybe it will give me the destination choices or maybe it will start restoring, replacing everything in that partition with data from the cd which may be weeks old. To someone who has used it before, it is probably obvious.

What does happen if I hit "next" at that screen?

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi bob-m,

Nothing is commited until you click the "Proceed" button on the final screen.

Regards

12. bob-m

bob-m Registered Member

Thanks for the info. It works OK now. Unlike my other recent problems, this was covered in the manual.
    RTFM (Read the fine manual).

One minor problem was that when I hit "Next" from the screen titled "Restored Partition Location" with the 2nd, empty ext3 partition highlighted (Other smaller partitions are greyed out and you can't put the hilite there), nothing happens. No error messages.

The workaround is to shut down and reboot using the Acronis Install disk.
    Maybe this is because of trying to restore Linux from W98. I don't know.

Once you get the image in the new ext3 partition, you can go "mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb4 /mnt/bk" for example, and either copy individual files or use DIFF3 to compare directories.

Now, on to other problems.

13. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

For what it's worth, I've successfully restored individual files from a ReiserFS image using yareg to view the mounted drive letter. I suspect something similar might be possible using explore2fs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.