Restoring just one software?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if it's possible te restore just one software from my previous full disk backup or if I have to run the whole contents of the backup.
    Thank you.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

From within the Windows version of TI, you can mount the image file, where it'll appear as a drive letter in Explorer. You can then drag and drop as you can anyother file in explorer.

Note though, if the file you want is a exe file, then it might require it's install data that would be in registry to work. A data or text file won't have this problem.

Colin

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

In general, NO, as most software has entries in the registry and/or files in other directories, e.g., DLLs and in Application Data.

4. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi!
    In other words, one cannot restore a partial image of the HD.Just a full one?

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

That's correct. You can however restore individual files and/or folders.

6. Howard Kaikow

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

That link tells me nothing. I'm not a software developer. Be more specific. What types of files are you talking about?

8. Howard Kaikow

It is possible to have files listed in Windows Explorer that cannot be opened via the GUI, and cannot be opened without using the techniques I described in the link I gave.

And chkdsk cannot remedy the situation.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, before we go around in circles, perhpas Babac could give us an idea of the type of file that needs to be restored.

Then we can advise whether this looks possible.

Colin

10. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi.
    The software I was thinking of is Photoshop CS2.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you have had Photoshop installed on the system that you are now using and haven't uninstalled it and it has become corrupted, it might work.

You'll have no problem actually putting the program on the drive, but as it probably requires entries in registry to work, if these are missing it probably won't do much.

On my image drive, apart from the images, I include my most important (to me) install files and licemce info, just in case I only need to restore 1 progam.

Colin

12. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi bodgy,
    Actually, my Photoshop is still installed but some files appear to be corrupted.
    This is the reason I'm tempted to try a restore,but Idon't know exactly how to go with the registry restore.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Babac

If I read this thread right you have a corrupt install of Photoshop, and you want to fix it by selectively restoring stuff from a Acronis Image.

I would strongly recommend you do one of two things. Either restore the whole image, or don't restore the image, and try reinstalling Photoshop.

But trying to do what you are talking about you run a very high risk of ending up with a mess.

Pete

14. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Pete,
    Thank you for your answer.
    I therefore come to the conclusion that restoring just one particular software from an image created by Acronis is not possible.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Babac

I think that's the safest conclusion. I would try a repair/reinstall of photoshop.

Pete

16. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I have fixed some software problems by going into program files and renaming the folder with the extension ".old" and then mounting an image and doing a copy and paste from program files there to the existing my program files.. This has worked for me a few times. As long as the problem isn't in your registry or a bad .dll ( which can also be copied over).
    If this doesn't work , no problem , all you do is erase the folder you pasted over and rename the above "renamed" folder by removing ".old"
    Hasn't worked evry time, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

17. Howard Kaikow

That's risky 'cause some programs are running in the background and sense that their files have been modified. They might create new directories eksewhere and modify registry entries and other files accordingly,

18. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi Howard Kaikow "That's risky 'cause some programs are running in the background and sense that their files have been modified. They might create new directories eksewhere and modify registry entries and other files accordingly", I didn't realise that, I have had no problems at all with that fix. Thanks for the heads up.
    If I end up with problems though, thank heavens I have a good working imaging software ( which I never had before this spring) so I will probably carry on, but like I say it's good to know! Thanks again.
    Happy New Year !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.