Restoring Image To A New HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hgratt, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Didn't want to hijack a current thead.

I have a related question.

1. I have imaged (NOT CLONED) my ENTIRE HDD drive to an external USB drive.

2. Say my computer's HDD drive now crashes and I replace it with another drive of equal or larger capacity.

3. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply restore the image from my external HDD even though it's a FULL DISK IMAGE NOT A CLONE?

4. If 3. is true, will I have to do a fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg, etc. to make it bootable or will that all be automatically taken care of?

Thanks,
    Harvey

2. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

One more item, There is a "Add New Disk" option on the TI menu, should this be used instead of the "Recover Image" option? Would this make everything "automatic" (no need to "fix" anything)?

Does one use "Restore Image" only if one is restoring (an IMAGE) to the SAME HDD? Does one use "Add New Disk" ONLY when restoring (an Image) to a different HDD? What if instead of Images, I have Cloned the HDD?

Harvey

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hgratt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

You will be able to restore the image stored onto your external drive after you replace the old internal drive with the new one. To do that please turn off the computer, unplug the old drive and plug in the new one. After that turn on the computer and boot from Acronis Bootable CD (I assume the external drive is plugged to your computer as well). Choose the "Restore Image" wizard and follow the directions. Please choose to restore the whole disk (not single partition) and proceed with the settings.

After the restoration is completed you may boot from your new internal disk without fixing MBR or anything else.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Thank you. That sounds painless. I guess all the other "issues" arise when one only images a partition and not the entire HDD.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hgratt,

When you create and restore the image of the whole disk there shouldn't be any issues during the whole process.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.