Restoring Image SATA Raid 0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tangdreamer, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangdreamer

Tangdreamer Registered Member

Hi all,

Just purchased True Image 8 and have run into trouble with restoring an image. I have a Gigabyte mobo with SIS raid onboard, this is configured to run in Raid 0. I am also using Windows 2000.

I can create an image and it goes through the restore process without a hitch. However when I reboot the machine after the restore is complete I get ' NTLDR Missing '. I have tried to fix the MBR by using the recovery console but to no avail.

The strange thing is if I run the two SATA drives as single drives and scrap the RAID setup altogether then the image restores okay and will boot no problems.

I therefore think there must be something wrong with the way True Image detects the RAID setup for the SIS controller. Has anyone get any work arounds on this as it just seems to be flaky at best with restoring RAID partitions.

Thanks for your time.

2. jstevemd

jstevemd Guest

I am having the exact same problem on an ASUS P4R800-V motherboard with Windows 2000 and Raid 0 SATA drives. Somehow the SCSI driver is not being loaded with the True Image boot disk. I also have Drive Image 6 and can boot into DOS to restore the image just fine... but I had to manually place the driver into the rescue disks.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tangdreamer,
    Hello jstevemd,

Please contact support@acronis.com, describe the situation and write that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva.

Thank you.

4. Tangdreamer

Tangdreamer Registered Member

Just thought that I would report back here so all can read the very unhelpful response given to me by Acronis.

"You have a RAID controller based on SIS 180. The currect version of Acronis True Image doesnt support this controller because of a lack of drivers.
    We will certainly implement SIS 180 support in futire version of Acronis True Image as soon as open sourse drivers are available.
    We`re sorry for your inconvenience.
    --
    Best regards,
    Marian Fadeeva"

So very helpful....NOT! On Acronis' main page the feature list states "All levels of IDE and SCSI RAID controllers support". I don't think so, and this is complete false advertising. The demo you download won't let you restore any partitions as a limitation of the demo so you end up taking their word for it that your controller is supported.

So what now, money has been wasted and does not grow on trees. I suppose when they do finally implement the support for my interface they will expect me to fork out more cash and pay for an upgrade.

One very unhappy customer!

5. jstevemd

jstevemd Guest

As I mentioned earlier, I am using a RAID 0 with SATA drives (120GB/drive). The ASUS motherboard I am using has SiS RAID. Support was helpful in identifying that TI8 will not restore this image as the drivers are not open source (yet). My workaround is to backup the image. Then reboot and use the RAID array to delete the RAID 0. Boot from the TI8 boot CD, format one drive as primary. Restore the image to that drive. Reboot into Windows 2000 or XP, and then use the SiS RAID utility to restore the RAID 0 array. The computer will reboot, run the converstion utility and then boot nicely into Windows with a RAID 0 array. Takes a little time, but works great. You can even restore a much larger drive to the primary drive. My only complaint is why tech support did not suggest this to me and I will await the SiS RAID support in future versions. Hope this helps. As a side note Ghost DOSE NOT SUPPORT ANY RAID drives. Good luck. jstevemd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.