Restoring Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brokendell, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brokendell

brokendell Registered Member

Hey everyone!!! I have two questions first...and most important!!! I had a dell with XP, backed it up, then it shelled its self. I bought a new computer, toshiba, with vista. I am trying to restore my iTunes back to the new computer, but i seem to be missing some step. I managed to restore some pictures, but this iTunes thing has me baffled!!! What do i need to do to save all my music?

I backed it up three times, i have one system state, and two what i assume are full backups of my c drive. can some one help me restore it? I think that i can get the broken dell back on long enough to retore parts again, if someone can tell me what i need to do.

Secondly, i want to know what the best way to backup my drive so that i am sure i have a mirror image so if this happened again everything, applications, files, etc are restored?!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Let's start with a bit of data.
    What version of TrueImage are you using?

Where are you storing your backups?

What sort of backup did you make of the Dell? (files and folders or entire computer?)

Have you installed TrueImage on your new computer?

You should be making an image backup (not files and folders), and you should be selecting the entire hard drive not just one partition. Store the backup images on an external hard drive such as a USB drive.

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

If you are just trying to restore the music, try mounting the image and copy and pasting them. The program you will have to reinstall.

4. brokendell

brokendell Registered Member

Ok, so lets start at the fisrt question.

I am using true imange home 11. I backed up to a portable hard drive, and i backed up the entire hard drive. I did two backups the first two are, i think, images, then i also chose the sytem state backup...becuase i didnt know what the heck anything meant! yes its on the new computer

I am unsure how to mount and copy images, and i really dont want to break a new computer!! How do i mount and image of just what i am looking for and not the whole hard drive? will it affect my new one?

I really appreciate you all helping this unseasoned computer user!!!

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Sorry I missed this yesterday.
    I have never done system state. I only do "disks and partitions" and select disk 1, which will include all the partitions and the mbr. I have no idea what system state is for. ( pretty sad for a guy that has been using TI for a while now...but there are a lot of features in TI that I don't use). I hope someone will enlighten us here.
    Right click on the ".tib" file and select "mount" I have heard people have trouble after selecting the write function, I tried it once on a FAT32 win98 image and my computer hung on me, so I shy away from it. True image will mount the image as a new drive on your computer, from there it is simply a matter of exploring the mounted drive and copy and paste as if though from any normal hard drive to another hard drive.
    You can also open the TI program and select mount from there. You can right click the new drive and select "unmount" or unmount the drive through the TI program.
    The mount feature is the only reason I upgraded from TI 9 to TI 11. My rescue CD would allow me to make images as well as recover, but TI 9 does not work in the windows environment of Vista. I wanted the "mount" feature to just copy and paste in case I changed/lost some Data such as text, pictures, music etc.
    As you are new to this I have to ask if you have tried the rescue CD to make sure you can see your "portable" hard drive.
    Also look for "foghorn" on this site and read any posts by him, in his signature he has guides and help links that will give you some insite.
    Good luck.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

brokendell, please follow instructions provided by dbknox if you need to restore music files. Please note that you need to reinstall iTunes program because it's not possible to restore stand-alone program installed within Windows XP environment to Windows Vista (a lot of system settings that are hiding in registry and so on must be moved and adapted to the new OS in order to allow the program to work under the new environment).

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.