Restoring from usb hard drive True Image Home 2009 Unsheduled Task

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dscrap, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I am replacing a hard drive in a laptop. I have an image of the primary partition of the old hard drive stored on an external USB drive. I connected the new drive and the USB drive to my desktop and open True Image Home 2009 and attempt to restore the image from the USB drive to the new laptop hard drive. I click through the restore wizard and get to the summary screen where I click proceed, but nothing happens. I get the task screen with a new unscheduled task showing as idle. If I click the task and select start, nothing happens. I originally tried to restore using bootable media directly to the hard drive installed in the laptop, but I get an error about no acronis partition and hit enter to try and start the OS. I really need some help. I like the look of the new version of True Image, but it doesn't perform like the older version and it seems to be a bit buggy...

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Try connecting the new blank drive into the laptop normal boot position.
    Connect the external to the laptop and the restore should be allowed. Be sure and perform the necessary partition resizing if you are moving to a larger drive. Have you checked to see if your old laptop drive had any hidden or diagnostic partitions? If so, are these being restored?

Perform the restore when booted from the TI Rescue CD inserted into the laptop.

3. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

What I have:
    1. 80GB old laptop drive (SATA)
    2. 320GB new laptop drive (SATA)
    3. External 80GB USB drive containing image files
    4. USB stick recovery media (made fresh twice)
    5. recovery CD (made fresh twice)
    6. desktop with Vista and TI Home 2009
    7. laptop with XP Pro

After a few hours of trying, I was finally able to get the drive working. The new version of True Image was pretty much useless in Windows. I ended up hooking the new and old laptop drives to my desktop and rebooted into recovery manager using F11. From there I was able to clone the drive. When I put the new drive back in the laptop, I was able to boot from it. I would get to the recovery manager prompt, but it would not boot into Windows. So I hit F11 to get to the recovery manager on the laptop and from there I attached my USB drive containing a backup image and was able to restore again from there. It was a huge workaround to get anything to work.

I don't know why I could not just recover from the image using TI under Windows with the new drive and the USB drive connected containing a backup image. Or why I could not boot from the recovery media on the laptop directly. The recovery media gave me a boot error and when I tried recovering using the desktop I either got an error, a blue screen of death, or an unscheduled task that I couldn't run. I read through the help documentation, but that just described the process that I was already trying to do.

I have been a long time user of TI, but the new version just wont work. Luckily, I still have the old version on disk and am going to revert back to it. Now I just have to see if I can get my money back from the upgrade...

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dscrap,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat, describe the issue and provide step-by-step actions you perform to restore the image.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.