Restoring Differential images with WinPE

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by John Doe Genius, Jan 30, 2014.

1. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I have regularly backed up my C: drive with differential backup images. I have not had any problems with the restore: Select the Diff set you want and go on, the app knows where to find the base (the starting Full image).

Some weeks ago I started to perform the backup with a script created by Paragon Retention Wizard. This product is discussed in the topic 'Paragon not intuitive' (70 posts at the moment); the RW issue starts with post #15 (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2314129&postcount=15).

A week ago I had to restore an image (due to Java RE problems), but now the process was not as simple as it used to be. The app asked a new question: “Please specify where to find next archive volume”.

I raised a support ticket and I received a kind answer: It’s a user interface bug that occurs when restoring a complex differential backup made with Retention Wizard under WinPE. The product team has been informed, and it should be fixed in the future versions. Additionally I was told how to “help” the app with some extra mouse clicks. I have tested the solution and it works perfectly! Once again I can say: Paragon BU has never let med down.

I should like to give the necessary instructions here if any of you face this challenge. The procedure is:

* Select the System.PBF in the DIFF folder you want to restore.
    * The app goes to the top level (the Backup Set folder) and states a file name.
    * Navigate to the FULL folder, point to the actual file and click <Next>
    * The app might ask for another file; repeat the point procedure.
    * When done you will have the screen “Browse for Archive” followed by “What to restore” and so on.

The attached screenshot might be helpful. The Retention Wizard creates a complex folder structure. I set the path for backup destination to W:\Paragon Backup\Paragon PBF, the wizard continued with these subfolders: ..\COMPAQ-HP\Full_Diff\Backup_Set_1_7_2014_10021\FULL_1_7_2014_10021 (and with several DIFF subfolders to the Backup_Set folder ('COMPAQ-HP' is the <Computer Name>).

Attached Files:

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for posting it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.