Restoring C Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AzimScot, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzimScot

AzimScot Registered Member

Hi,

Recently purchased Acronis from Amazon and I can say I am quite disappointed.

When restoring my images, which are 3 separate files when rebooting all I get is a black screen with a flashing _ on the top left hand corner?

What am I doing wrong?

Are you supposed to restore all 3 or just 1?

Its a clean new hard drive do all 3 image files go on as logical or active? or is 1 active and other 2 logical?

Please guide.

Thanks.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

AzimScot:

Your C partition needs to be restored as "Active".

What are the three image files - are they backups of three different partitions? Or, are they a backup of your C partition but split into three files?

3. AzimScot

Thanks for the quick reply. I was expecting weeks of waiting!

The 3 Image files are 1 partition, but 3 split files.

Is it possible to keep it one large file?

Also, does Acronis true image have a support contact telephone number?

Thanks.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

If you are saving your file to a FAT32 file system disk then it will be automatically split because FAT32 has a maximum file size limitation of 4 GB. If you want only one large file then you must save your image to an NTFS file system disk.

So back to your original question -- if the three files are splits from a backup of your main C partition then you only need to have them reside in the same folder on your disk when you start the restore wizard. Point the wizard to one of the files and it will find and use the rest of the splits automatically. Since this is your Windows system partition, the restore should be started from the recovery disk (for best results; starting a restore from within Windows may be hit or miss if some of your hardware is unsupported in the recovery environment), and as previously stated you should make sure to restore the partition as "Active".

The best way to contact Acronis support is to file a support request on their web site. From what I've read recently, they are having problems with their web site and are recommending that people use their Live Chat.

5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Questions:
    - Did you create the 3 backup-files with the same TrueImage from Amazon?

- Please post the whole names of the three files.

6. AzimScot

No, just the 1.

I think because I restored all 3 of the Acronis files as logical maybe rather than active. I think its because my external hard drive is on fat32 not NTFS.

here is a snapshot

http://i33.tinypic.com/dnj0vs.jpg

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That would do it. Restoring one of the files (TI will find and use the others automatically) as "Active" should be successful.

8. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Of course, you have given the name "acronis backup image 11092008", right?

And Ti made it. But through the conventions (physikal adress-area) of FAT32 the File only can get a maximum of 4.194MB.
    Ti knows that and (because the image becomes larger) parted the TIB-file in additional two other files.
    That is the reason why there is a 1,2 and 3 after your file name :)

Thank you for the picture.
    Yes, your ext-hdd is FAT32.

EDIT:
    K0lo gives the right evidence with the 'active'...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.