Restoring a Citrix Server Image - please help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BikerBoy, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BikerBoy

BikerBoy Registered Member

Hi All

Please help - I'm near my Wit's end!!

Purchased TI9.1 Server edition (latest build 3677) with Universal restore to help recover W2K server with citrix MPS3 and re-mapped drives C:\ > M:\ - pretty standard for Citrix installation.

TI installs OK (secure partition a bit flaky) but enabled me to create image and store on network (as expected)

When testing recovery to a virtual machine VMWARE Server (free version) image restored but server boots with a "The logon user interface DLL ctxgina.dll failed to load"

This appears to be a known issue at Acronis and is consistant with the restored drives being given back the C:\ drive system settings?? OK so far understood

but Acronis say "Our Development Team is working on the universal drive remapper which will allow you to get around this Windows specific behavior after restoration. This feature is planned to be only in the next version of the product. However, it is possible that it will be developed and implemented sooner, as our developers are working hard to accomplish this task."

I have been offered a white paper with a registry hack to change the HKLM\system\mounteddevices\ back from C:\ to M:\ BUT I CANT LOG ON to the server to change it OR connect remotely as there is the REAL server on the network?? the VM does not appear to the host machine via ping - so I can't connect to it remotely as suggested in a documento_O?

I'm sure I'm not the only person to try restore a Citrix server with same config - I would be very grateful if anyone can offer a solution now I've spent £££ on Acronis products to find they do not work for me? Ghost has a command line switch to stop thiso_O Come on ACRONIS pull your finger out please!

Sorry rant over
    Thanks again

2. BikerBoy

BUMP!

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

you need a recovery environment which gives you access to the registry and boots up from CD.

I know several methods for CD booting:
    ERD Commander 2003/2005
    CIA Commander 2
    BartPE
    O&O Bluecon

After booting you have full access to the registry and can change your settings. After the next reboot everything is ok..

Volker

4. BikerBoy

Hi Volker

Thanks for the reply - I have tried BARTPE as a boot environment and although I can run regedit whan I make the changes and reboot it doesn't save the settings :doubt:
    Have checked and changed permissions also - but on reboot it always seems to revert to how it was?

Any thought's please

Regards
    Paul

5. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

In BartPE, are you trying to run RegEdit then just go from there ?

Because that doesn't truly change the registry, all that does is load the Registry for that BartPE instance.

If so,what you have to do is run RegEdit, then load the machine's Hive into regedit, make the changes, then unload it so that it saves.

6. BikerBoy

THANK YOU _ YOU ARE A STAR!!

look in folder ??\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG load the file system into the hive!

you have made my day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.