RestoreIT 6?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by JerryM, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I subscribe to Kim Komando's daily tips and weekly newsletter.

On today's tip was an ad that mentioned several utilities at a reduced price. One of them was RestoreIT 6 at a price of $3.29, and also Diskeeper 7.0 Workstation at $19.95.

I have noted that Diskeeper is well though of by some, but do not recall any mention of RestoreIT. Both seem to be good buys. There are others there also.

Any information or comments on these?
    The site is http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/prms/k/3017.asp?ai=1800

Thanks, Jerry

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  2. drowles

drowles Guest

I currently use RestoreIT 6. I replaced GoBack w/ RestoreIT because GoBack was constantly working in the background filing away all the temp Internet files. It was a pain. I've successfully used RestoreIT to put my hard disk back to a previous time, no hassle, easy as could be. Here's the catch. True Image 7 (the version I have, came here hoping v. 8 might have overcome this) cannot be installed at the same time as RestoreIT. You can only have one or the other installed. I have burned a boot CD of True Image to make my HD images, but it takes a while and I can't do anything else w/ the computer while it is running. For me, however it has been worth it to have RestoreIT running if I get some type of virus or just want to return my laptop back to the way it was before some piece of software got installed, w/o having to restore an image... Hope this info helps.

drowles

3. dr.noodles

dr.noodles Guest

I thought that RestoreIT had the ability to save the restore images to a cd or dvd to be restored in case of hard drive failure or other problems. So why would you need any other hard drive imaging type program with RestoreIT (like TI7 or Ghost)? It's like Goback and Ghost in one program? At least that's what I was told about RestoreIT.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Version 7 of RestoreIt is out now. I've been looking at their website, and I'm trying to decide between this product and FirstDefense. I've heard good reports of the latter.

According to RestoreIt website:
    I'm not sure how this works as I thought one had to create their own partitions at format stage or fdisk. I'm only using one partition, that is, drive c:. The other thing they recommend is that one defrags the hard drive before installing RestoreIt.

Perhaps someone who has used this product can comment on it?

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My system, now something like 3 years old, came with RestoreIt already dealer-installed. Since I got it from him ready-to-go, I'm not sure what was involved in creating its own partition -- I suspect it neatly does that itself provided there's enough contiguous free space at the end of the disk (which is why the defrag first).

On my 40-gig drive, RestoreIt took the last 5 gigs, leaving 35 gigs on C. The partition's "invisible" in the sense that it's not assigned a virtual-drive letter, and many diagnostic utils have trouble identifying it.

And as drowles pointed out, it's very unobtrusive -- the default setup is for it to create a new incremental restore point at your first bootup each calendar day. There are a number of additional functions available which I've never bothered with -- I'm pretty sure, without looking, that one of them is the ability to create a recovery disk.

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I have used RestoreIT 6 and now use RestoreIT 6.5. It is extremely easy to use. Making a recovery disk is simple. The main difference between RestoreIT 6 and 6.5/7 (that I can see) is the boot time interface. The newer ones are prettier.

"I suspect it neatly does that itself provided there's enough contiguous free space at the end of the disk (which is why the defrag first)."
    -This is exactly correct.

"During installation, the software creates a hidden partition where it saves complete (static) and partial (incremental) restore points."
    -This is similar to True Image and it's secure zone. I believe this is better than First Defense in that the image is saved outside the Windows partition, thus invulnerable to virus attack and registry problems.

I highly recommend this product. It just recently saved me from hours of work getting my computer up and running properly. I made a recovery disc a week ago - this was very simple. I then went on trying different programs and screwed up something with Microsoft Office which caused numerous script errors. Repair and reinstall did not help. I then went on to restore my C partition from my recovery disc. This took about 15 minutes and went without a hitch. Everything works perfectly now. RestoreIT and other similar programs can be a real life-saver.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
  7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Just wanted to say thank you Jerry for the site :cool: :cool:

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Do you know if there are any conflicts with this product and Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v5? I ask because of the ADS issue, and there were reports FirstDefense had problems with KAV 5 due to the iStreams technology used by that AV.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First Defense and KAV 5.0 can be used together, provided you don't have Kav 5.0's Istream technology in use. If you already have KAV 5.0 installed you will first have to uninstall, use their KLstreamremove program, and then reinstall without Istream. Works fine.

As to the separate partition issue, I don't think it is a big issue. There are no registry problems at all. As to virus vulnerability, I would rate the risk so low as to be zero. To get to another snapshot, the virus would first have to have administrative access, and then know about first defense to find the files, and then would have to change ownership, permissions etc. Having had to remove a snapshot manually once, I know what an undertaking that would be. Just not worth a virus writers time, given the number of machines that are much easier pickings.

I would say the virus risk with First Defense is so close to zero as to be unmeasurable.

Pete

11. Ailric

Ailric Guest

"Do you know if there are any conflicts with this product and Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v5? I ask because of the ADS issue, and there were reports FirstDefense had problems with KAV 5 due to the iStreams technology used by that AV."

- I cannot say for sure

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm testing this out at the mo. It seems that if you don't use the default setup or have any scheduled backups, any incremental backup created changes in size during computer use. It's as if it's continually making incremental changes, but there doesn't appear to be any performance drag like some have reported with GoBack.

13. Rainwalker

I went here http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/prms/k/3017.asp?ai=1800
    and ordered...that very day i received a fraudulent charge on my credit card........i am not saying it had anything to do with them...the charge was from a bogus whatever somewhere in the UK..this is still being looked into....this was the first time someone has nailed a credit card of mine.......what i AM saying is keep an eye on your card should you order from this site.......again...the charge was not showing to be from them...their amount showed as expected then the bogus one popped up...

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Rainwalker,

Thanks for the heads up. I had ordered once from them, but under the circumstances I will wait until I know something. That outfit has been listed for their sales on Kim Komando's site. I think it is an honest outfit, but somehow something is amiss.
    Jerry

15. Rainwalker

As i wrote/inferred, this might have been a coincidence........my bank is looking into it, but i suspect they will find a dead end..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.