Restore won't work on xp

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thejudge, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejudge

thejudge Registered Member

I am running xp pro, Acronis 8.0 and created an image of the entire hard drive on an external usb hard drive. I used Acronis restore several times and it worked great. When uninstalling some hp sortware I think Acronis became corrupted since when I try to restore the drive now every thing goes ok until it asks for a reboot. It then just keeps trying to reboot over and over. I then tried the recovery disc and it will not boot ie it just keeps tring to load Acronis and then reboots etc. The recovery disc was made some time ago so I think it is clean. I have tried unstalling and reinstalling Aconis but nothing changed. Ideas?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

When you try to restore, did it complete all the way? By this I mean everything was written to the new drive?
    Next the restored drive refuse to boot and would only reboot at the logon/splash screen?
    If this is your symptoms then it probably has a drive letter problem.

If true image won't even start or finish the restoration process, this indicates a linux driver incompatibility problem. This will occur on newer computers with your version of true image.

3. thejudge

It did not restore to the drive. The restore procedure got the point that it said the drive was in use - reboot. It then would not reboot - just kept trying to over and over.

4. snifferpro

snifferpro Registered Member

It sounds like you initially tried to restore from within windows. That
    would definitley giv e you a drive in use issue.

Is your Bios set to boot from CD/DVD drive first? It sounds as if it is not.

Check your Bios and have it boot from CD/DVD first and put your rescue
    disk in and boot.

5. thejudge

I did that ie changed to reboot from cd drive and put in recover disc and it would not boot.

6. snifferpro

If your first boot device is CD/DVD, then your rescue CD is not bootable.

Try creating another bootable rescue CD.

7. thejudge

I tried to create another rescue disc and got an error message "error in writing to the drive" and could not create the disc. I then went to another machine (same operating system) and created another disc and tried it but got the same results ie it would not boot.

8. snifferpro

If it's not creating rescue disks correctly, I would contact Acronis Support
    and ask them for a link to an ISO file you can download and then burn to CD.

Also, if there is an option in Create Rescue Media to create an ISO file,
    create an ISO and use a program called Imgburn (free) and burn the image to a
    CD and see if that is bootable.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

10. thejudge

Thanks to all who tried to help. I tried the recovery disc that I made with TI 11 again and this time I just clicked on "Acronis full program recomended" instead of double clicking as I had the first time and then clicked on the icon "execute" at the bottom of the page and it worked - I was able to restore my hard drive. Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.