Restore won't run

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikesmartt, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikesmartt

mikesmartt Registered Member

I bought Acronis True Image 2009 a few months back having used the previous three versions with some success though when I installed Service Pack 1 for Vista Ultimate and that re-install fried my system, I could not restore from TrueImage and had to spend two days rebuilding my system with a clean install. Vitsa remains unservice- packed (I have tried to install twice since with mega problems) and will remain so until Windows 7 gets installed next year.
    Anyhow, presently everything seems to be safely backed up with True Image 2009 – until I tried some test restoring. All the backup are verified fine and I can open them all and open files within them. The backups, from two internal drives and one external drive, are all housed in a second external drive. But when I set up a test restore – it doesn’t matter from where – whether to be restored to original locations or new ones, I get the message:
    “Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server.”
    This is clearly nonsense as I can see all the backups, open them and the files within them.
    I can continue with setting up the backup, once I have closed the error message, but then when I have clocked Proceed, the task just sits there – idle.
    Any suggestions?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do the files show correct file sizes?

Are you tring to restore via the Rescue CD or from within Windows?

3. mikesmartt

Thanks for the reply. The files seem fine as when I doible click any one of them, they open fine. I am restoring using Windows - I just thought I would do a few test restores to maintain condfidence in the software. Not so confident now. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in setting up the restore but I have tried many times without success. And I have restored successfully before but some months ago. Very strange.o_O

4. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

I am not clear whether you are trying restoring a partition or drive from tib file or mounting a partition/drive tib and trying restoring some files and or folders.

Can you clarify

Ta

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If restoring from within Windows doesn't work then the next step is to do it using the Rescue CD.

6. mikesmartt

I am trying to restore single files or folders using the normal interface. That is, I choose restore then drill down to the file/folder I want to restore from a chosen backup on an external drive and then I tell the program to proceed and restore to the original location of a new one (I have tried both). I have TureImage 2009 riunning on a laptop at another location connected to another, completely separate external drive and restore works fine using the method above. I suppose I am just going to have to build a new set of full backups I suppose and try again. But it knocks ones confidence in TrueImage when a test restore won't work. When I need to restore after an emergency, it must work.

7. mikesmartt

.... that should read an origiinal location or a new one ....

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

mikesmartt,

Since you want to create a new set of backups, could you please do the following?

Please temporally remove the My Web Sites on MSN folder from My Computer. You can put the removed folder anywhere else, e.g. on Desktop. Create a new backup file and try to recover the desired folders.

Please let us know the results at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

9. mikesmartt

I have actually done the new backup of my C: drive without doing what you asked (as I hadn't seen your mail) but have now discovered that no unscheduled task can be carried out at all - neither restore (which you can't schedule anyway) nor backup. Scheduled backups, however, do seem to work. Furthermore, I attempted a restore one file using my bootable Acronis disc which failed to restore to the original location but did to a new location (another, already used folder). All very strange. Any further suggestions?

10. mikesmartt

I finally re-installed TrueImage 2009 and it now seems to restore as before. But this doesn't re-enforce my confidence in the program as I don't why it was failing to restore in the first place and when I really need restore, after a catastrophic failure, the same thing might happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.