Restore to SSD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by kenw, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenw

kenw Registered Member

B&R 2012 anyone restore image to new ssd ? My Win 7 partition will be smaller than the ssd.

I still think a new os install would be better, but reinstalling all programs is a pita.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can restore to a SSD. Does your W7 have the 100MB System Reserved Partition? If so your W7 partition should be aligned which is what you want for a SSD. In any case after restoring you should check that it is aligned and there are various ways of doing it - you don't need to buy any software, here is a method:
    http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/checking_ssd_alignment

Paragon says that B&R12 does partition alignment for bare-metal restores which is good.

3. kenw

kenw Registered Member

No it doesn't have that partition on 2 64 bit desktops. If Paragon shows it ?
    Disk management doesn't show it either.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

They both should show it as being present if it is there. Paragon, apart from any grahpical displays etc of the disk structure, will show it as a partition to be selected for backup in the backup wizard (has a checkbox beside it and is between the MBR and the W7 partition entry).

You could try the Paragon restore to the SSD and see it is restores it aligned as the Paragon description seems to indicate since you are doing a bare-metal restore in effect.

If the above doesn't work: What I did with a similar issue to yours (no System Reserved, not aligned) some time ago was to boot up the Windows installation CD and essentially say I wanted a fresh install which then setup the SSD. This created the MBR, System Reserved Partition, and then the C partition. I then stopped the installation's file copying, fired up the Paragon rescue CD and restored the C partition. Paragon found the OS and configured everything and it was fine. If you have a partitioning capabiltiy then you could likely use it. I don't know fi the partitioning in B&R would do it.

Since you are doing operations on the SSD, you are pretty safe since your original W7 installation is not being altered. Just be careful you do any modify operations on the correct disk.

5. kenw

kenw Registered Member

I am fairly sure the boot partition is not there since I just image C: on my two desktops and Asus netbook. My Toshiba netbook does have it. The desktops were clean install from a purchased win 7 upgrade dvd.

I know about the boot partition and it's strange that some do/don't have it.

The one thing is that if the 'easy' way doesn't work, I can start from scratch with a a fresh win 7 install. YUK !!

Thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.