Restore to another computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hawkeyes, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeyes

Hawkeyes Registered Member

I have an image backup (Windows Pro) from a computer with lots of programs on it that went bad, can I do a image resore to different computer (they are both Dell D400) that already has Windows Home on it. o_O

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes you can. It's a free world, and you own the computers, so you can do what you want with them even if it doesn't work.

OK, first make a backup image of the second Dell so that you can get back to a working system if the restore of the image from the other system fails.

Restore the image of the first Dell to the second Dell. This will wipe out the Windows installation and everything on the second computer. Try and boot the second system. If the hardware on the two systems is essentially identical, it should boot normally.

For hardware items that are not identical, you will have to install the proper drivers. You can probably get these from the Dell web site.

That said, you are violating the software licenses of almost every program that you have including Windows and TrueImage.

3. Hawkeyes

Hawkeyes Registered Member

Thanks for the help. The only difference in the two computers is one has a faster processor. The harddrives are the same size. After reading some of the problems from the posts on this forum everyone is having, I might just be better off installing all the software on the good computer. Violation is gas in an elevator. Thanks again. :D

4. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

You can probably get away with it only if they have exactly the same chipset, graphics, drivers, etc.
    Otherwise, things will get corrupted.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can try the restore and possibly save many hours of your time. Depending on how you value your time, trying TI might be a real bargain. If the two systems are close, it will be a lot easier to install a couple of drivers rather than doing a vanilla install and installing all your programs. At least, that's what I'd do in your case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.