Restore time very long.....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Roeker, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roeker

Roeker Registered Member

I want to change the harddisk of my notebook, so I did a backup of my vista partition with ATI 11 (newest release) on a USB-Disk Drive without any problems.
    After I replaced the Harddisk, I booted up with the created startup disk to restore the partition.
    After the process started, ATI stated that it will take app. 14 hours to restore my partition ?!?! The size of the partition is about 62 GByte.

Is that OK ?! I think its far too long......

Any hints for me ?

Regards
    Michael

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If that is the initial estimate, wait about 5 mins and see if it drops down. An Image of 62Gb should restore in just over 1 hour if your usb port is usb2. How long did it take to make the Image?

3. oldaussiedog

oldaussiedog Registered Member

DwnNdrty, Roeker,

It may depend on whether the Linux restore environment from the recovery disk does see or can support the external drive as USB 2. I have experienced one instance where booting up from a v11 recovery CD only wound up provided a USB1 connection to the external USB drive, and it was horrifically slow. The same external drive works fine (as USB 2) when a restore was commenced from the installed Acronis program (XP SP3 system).

4. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Very true. Try a BartPE version of the Rescue CD (you'll need some technical skills and a guide to do this).

Normal Rescue CD = linux based = some not optimized USB2 devices, so even thou its 2.0 capable it can only use 1.1's speed.
    BartPE custom made Rescue CD = windows XP/2003 based = optimized support for nearly all USB2 devices

5. Roeker

Roeker Registered Member

Thanks for this hint. I gues this could be the problem, because when I booted from the TI Rescue CD I have problems to see the connectet USB device (HDD). After some actions it is ok....
    I will try to create the BartPE CD ! Do you have any link to a guide ?

6. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

There is a short guide in this thread.

The actual creation of the ISO is fast enough (around 5 min)
    Getting ATI to compile properly from trial-and-error method will take longer. One wrong move or rename and you will have to recompile and burn a new boot CD.

ALTERNATE METHOD:
    - attach your ext HD to another Windows on the network.
    - Share the folder where your image is in.
    - Make sure your laptop and your other machine are in the same network.
    - use the linux based rescue CD and once your in; goto Tools> Options and set a static IP for your laptop so that is in can communicate with your other machine.
    - Start the restoration wizard and then when selecting the backup image to restore to; browse your network or type a "\\" (insert-ip-address-of-other-machine-here "\" and see if you can access the share. (enter a username and password of the other machine to gain access if prompted).

ex: \\192.168.0.2\

advantage:
    - transferring and restoring backup images over LAN is much faster than USB1.1 speed but slower than USB2.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.