Restore stops in the middle

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by newuser_07, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newuser_07

newuser_07 Registered Member

Hello all,

I downloaded the 15 day trial version of the True image 10.0 home, my issue is to make a take a image of my current HDD ( which is about to crash) and restore that image on my new HD. Both the hard disks are of the same size.
    I have successfully created a image to a external hard drive, and also created a bootable disk for the true image 10.0.

I have put in my new hard disk and booted from the CD and launched True Image in normal mode and then the selected the image from the external hard disk and started restore. However the whole process stops after 15- 20 mins and it just sits there, anyone has any idea why o_O ?

I thought this software was going to save me lots of time , but I have already spent close to 3 hrs on this.

I have again restarted the restore process only this time i launched true image in safe mode and now it shows that I have 7 hrs to go :mad: , previously in normal mode it was only 1 hr, why is this ? The hard disk is only 40 gig with about 10 gb free. Also should i restore MBR/ Track 0 too ?

Thanks
    Amarsh

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Check out my guides listed below. Perhaps my illustrations can pinpoint something.

Your choices on the CD should be either "Full" or "Safe". First choice would be Full providing it can see your external drive from within the Rescue CD.

Is the old drive an IDE or SATA?

Is the new drive an IDE or SATA?

Time estimating is not exact. Usually takes less time than predicted.

Both backup and restore should have been included any hidden partitions.

3. newuser_07

hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am backing up(image) a laptop hard drive to an external hard drive is connected from my USB.
    I can see the external hard drive when i start recovery from the bootable CD's.
    The recovery starts and it goes on for a while and it stops after about 15-20 mins. The external hard drive doesnt show any activity and the progress bar stops, it doesnt go forward. The system hard drive also doesnt show any activity.

Please let me know what to do. Is this the limitation of using the 15 day trial version ?

Thanks
    Amarsh

4. dld

dld Registered Member

Rest assured that Acronis has created some limitation on either the creation or restoration of an image if using the trial version. This post says the limitation is in the creation of the image.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello newuser_07,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this article Standalone Version of Acronis True Image Products describing the standalone version of Acronis True Image.

Note that safe variant of the standalone version of Acronis True Image is based on the DOS environment and works via BIOS. It provides you with the access to all hard drives recognized in BIOS. However, please note that we do not guarantee that the safe version will work correctly with the USB, Fireware, SCSI, RAID drives and network. We recommend you to use the safe variant only if the full one doesn't work.

As for the issue you have experience, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

In addition, please validate the image archives using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image under Windows and let us know the exact check-out result.

Having collected the above information please contact Acronis Customer Service by submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. newuser_07

Thanks for the reply, I am using Windows XP not Linux. I have tried many ways and this problem still presists, I am going to try for one last time before abandoning this.

Thanks

7. newuser_07

No luck again, this is what happens I am trying to restore the image I created on the external Hard drive and everything validates fine and the restoration goes on until it says about 30-35 minutes remaining and then stops. The laptop fan then starts blowing pretty hard. Then Nothing happens it is just stuck in there. For some reason it always stops in 30-35 minute range.

Both the external and internal hard drive show no access, even I leave it overnight nothing happens. I have tried creating images 3-4 times and its successfull and always get stuck in restoration.
    This time i tried restoring the image after installing xp and true image on my new hard disk and it still failed :thumbd: .

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The restore will wipe out whatever is on the destination drive so it's of no use installing XP or TI before trying the restore.
    Do you have any usb hubs attached or are you using a wireless mouse on that laptop?

9. newuser_07

I know its going to wipe it out, but restore from the bootable media didnt work, so tried this way. There is just a external hard drive attached to the USB and a ethernet cable connected to the network. Thats all.

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When creating the archive, did you tick the "disk" option?

When restoring, are you ticking the "disk" option or are you ticking each partition?

Did you validate the archive from within the Rescue CD?

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello newuser_07,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please have a look at this article Standalone Version of Acronis True Image Products describing the standalone version of Acronis True Image. Note that full variant of the standalone version of Acronis True Image is based on the Linux environment. As you are encountering the issue when using full variant of the standalone version of Acronis True Image, which is based on the Linux environment, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post, and collect other information as described in Alexandr's post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. hayStack

hayStack Registered Member

This has been my problem also. The backup is fine, verifies fine, but when restoring, 1.) I did not receive an option - it just went to safe mode. 2.) Both times, no matter how many hours I have waited (went to bed last night, and 7 hours later it said I still had 7 hours to go. ) I redid everything today, then decided to restore again, and it has "hung" at 7 hours, again (for the last three hours). No activity from external drive, nor hard drive. And it will not let me cancel the operation. It asks "politely" if I want to cancel, I say yes, and it ignores me - no matter how many times I respond. Last time, I had to do a hard reboot, and that REALLY screwed things up this a.m. Guess I'm not excited enough to buy this product after the trial perild. In fact, I will probably delete it tonight - If I can get back into my laptop!:thumbd:

13. spamsickle

spamsickle Registered Member

It's not a limitation of the 15-day trial version. I'm using the full version 9, and I have the same problem. I have been taking regular backups of my laptop to a USB external drive. I just bought a bunch of spare hard drives for the laptop, and tried restoring "bare metal" to one of these.

My hard drive has 4 partitions. The first partition restores okay, in about 20 minutes. The second partition begins to restore, then just dies. Same as you, no progress on the progress bars, no HDD LED activity. If I click "Cancel" on the restore job, I get a confirmation popup asking if I really want to cancel. When I click "Yes", it just goes back to doing nothing. I can try to cancel several times in a row, with the same result. Finally, I have to turn off the computer to get out of it.

I also tried cloning my HDD to another external USB drive, which worked fine. Trying to clone back from the external USB drive to a new HDD gives me the same result I get from the restore: it runs for about half an hour, then dies with no messages.

I'll go through the diagnostic steps requested and provide the documentation to tech support. Fortunately, I'm not in the position that I need to do the restore; my original drive is still working. Imagine doing backups for 6 months (like I have), thinking you're protected, and when the day finally comes to do a restore, you discover for the first time that it just hangs. That would be stressful.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  14. spamsickle

spamsickle Registered Member

Booting with "acpi=off noapic" seems to have taken care of the problem for me. I'm running now from the restored HDD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.