Restore software-what is your choice?

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Mar 27, 2006.

?

what is your choice?

1. RollbackRx

33 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. FirstDefence

54 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. DeepFreeze

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. CleanSlate

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. ShadowUser

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. Norton GoBack

10 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. Restore it

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Others( pls specify).

73 vote(s)
    37.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have constructed this poll as I want to but an instant recovery software but there are so many options and even after reading many posts at welder's I still wonder, which could be the best option for me. I like to use lot of new and even beta software especially related to security, and just to test my security software, I also like to go to risky sites.

So I think this poll can help me and other people to decide in their choice. Currently after all of my so called research, my choice is RollbackRx.

Tell us what will be your choice, out of these softs.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: What is your choice?

I may be wrong and the mods can correct me, but there is a section of the forum for polls. This should be there.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: What is your choice?

You are right. I posted here by misatke. Just hope it to be shifted there!

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Re: Backup software-what is your choice?

Your thread title is a bit misleading, since the programs you list fall into the "recovery/restore" category rather than back-up software.

I use Deep Freeze because once installed, it requires no attention/interaction from me, and the frozen partition(s) are restored to previous state on reboot.

This means the frozen partition (for me it is C:\ ) requires no maintenance (defrag, temp files, etc) and is immune to system file corruption that sometimes happens in Windows.

5. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

Are there good free recovery programs?

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Based largely on the informative and positive comments from Chris12923 and Peter2150, I purchased RollBack Rx Pro yesterday. Over the past few years, I've used and/or tried others including GoBack, FDISR, RestoreIT, and of course System Restore (which is lame compared to most other 3rd party 'restorers').

Compared to the other 3rd party products, RollBack Rx appealed to me mainly because it substantially minimizes impact on system resources. Other than that, the others I've used or tried were quite capable of doing their intended job.

~pv

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Can you still install softwares in the frozen partition, just for looking and trying ?

8. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Yes, unless they require a reboot (i.e. Process Guard; if you install PG and reboot, it's as if you didn't even try to install it in the first place).

9. ErikAlbert

Well ShadowUser seems to have that possibility.

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Rollback Rx.

I hope you like it.

Thanks,

Chris

11. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

To add to what TNT said, it's also ideal for testing malware, since all is gone on reboot.

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Although Deep Freeze is listed in the poll, I don't think of it as the usual "restore" program - it doesn't take snapshots; and if I did lots of testing, installing/uninstalling, I would recommend Rollback, based on what you and others have said.

My reason for Deep Freeze is that it just sits there and needs no user action, and I know that when I reboot, I return to the previous configuration.

But Rollback and similar certainly offer more features and options if that is what someone needs.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Acronis True Image

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

My Dad has PowerQuest's 'SecondCopy' on his machine at home. It is very similar to the likes of RestoreIt and Rollback Rx.

15. ErikAlbert

With SU you can do that too, even more.
    You can't test a software, that requires a reboot in DeepFreeze. The software disappears during the next reboot as TNT said.

With SU you can do this. You can reboot and still keep the software for testing and that makes SU better in possibilities, than DeepFreeze. :)

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Do you mean SecondChance? A great program for Win98/Me. I used it for several years before PQ dropped it.

17. ErikAlbert

I think the main question is here : "Do you need more than ONE snapshot or not ?"
    FD-ISR and Rollback have that possibility. DeepFreeze and ShadowUser have only ONE snapshot. The way they do it is different, but the final result is the same : they restored your system, better than Windows does.

If you need more than one snapshot, then you have to choose between FD-ISR and Rollback and then my choice would be Rollback in theory.

If you need only one snapshot, than you have to choose between DeepFreeze and ShadowUser and then my choice would be ShadowUser in theory.

Acronis Image True is an image backup software, you will need in case of a harddisk crash. It's in fact your last hope.
    Rollback, FD-ISR, ShadowUser and Deepfreeze won't save you in case of a harddisk crash.
    So you need them both and ATI or any other image backup is the absolute minimum and can also be used as a snapshot, most probably much slower.

Somehow I smell a bad attitude towards SU without any reason and its bad support is another problem that has nothing to do with the quality of SU. First I would like to see some PROOF, that SU is not so good.
    That two members are pro FD-ISR and Rollback, won't influence my final choice.
    I'm the one who has to live with the pros and cons of all these softwares. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  18. Peter2150

I would vote for both FDISR and Rollback. I use them both, like them both, for different situations.

19. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I concur with Peter, either or.

20. ErikAlbert

If you have more than one computer, you don't have to choose.
    I have only one good computer, like many users, so I have to choose.

21. Peter2150

Sure you do. Still have to decide what to use on each computer and why.

22. ErikAlbert

Pëter,
    I don't have a problem with you or anyone else and I learned alot from your posts, because I couldn't try these softwares myself yet. Old computer isn't suitable, new computer is still not available. I hate that too, but that's the way it is.
    Only your attitude towards SU bothers me. I like to give each software of this poll a fair chance and keep my objectivity.
    If there was some proof of it and ShadowStor doesn't do anything about it, than I would ditch SU without regrets.

If I don't need more than one snapshot, than SU is still the best choice for me, because DeepFreeze has one disadvantage : I can't test (untrusted) softwares that need a reboot after installation.
    If a user doesn't need that option, than DeepFreeze is a good choice.

I would like to have a security setup without any software based on blacklists and I would rather spend my time on this, than participating in a discussion : "KAV vs. NOD32" or "You have only 1 security software, what would you choose?"
    Maybe it's not possible or not entirely possible, but Jesus are security setups with scanners so perfect ?
    Isn't it a challenge to find such a security setup without blacklists, even when you don't want to use it personally or did we lose our creativity ? :)

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Same here.

Only problem with SU, it,s cost. It is really too much. So it may change my choice to DF while buying. SU cost is even more than Rollback!!

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right but not all software you can try with SU. In my personal experience when i tried some security software, on reboot some did not work untill I installed them without SU. For example AntiHook,I was not able to use it in SU.

25. ErikAlbert

OK. Thanks for mentioning it and here is my comment.
    AntiHook is a legitimate software. If I want to try this one, I will install it permanently.

The softwares I want to try in ShadowMode aren't legitimate and if some of them don't work properly,
    that wouldn't bother me, because I'm not planning to keep them. I just want to see and try them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.