Restore problem: Drive(C)?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sagres, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sagres

Sagres Registered Member

I'm a newbie with TI (just purchased yesterday) hoping for a couple answers. I did a selective restore (Windows folder) from a full backup. However, the folder was restored as C:\Drive(C)\Windows

Why? What did I do wrong?

Lastly, how do I delete this C:\Drive(C)\Windows directory? Can't do it within Windows - gives errors about unable to delete files etc. Tried using the file manager included with BartPE and I get the same error messages. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. dld

dld Registered Member

If in creating your backup image you ticked off the box next to Disk 1, your best bet now is to restore by again ticking off the box next to Disk 1. In doing so you will be restoring your OS (Windows) as well as the MBR and overwriting whatever is presently on your C: drive.

3. Sagres

Sagres Registered Member

When you perform a full backup there is no option but to select disk/drive1 and C: simultaneously. In other words: you can't check/un-check disk/drive1 without c:\ being checked/unchecked. However, this may work while restoring. Thank you for the advice.

Any advice on how to delete the directory?

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I agree with you that in creating a backup ticking Disk 1 automatically ticks off the C: drive. This is so if you have but one partition on your HD. Not so if you have additional partitions. In any case, Disk 1 having been ticked off in the backup, do the same in restore, ticking off Disk 1.

When you restore your system everything will be wiped off your disk, provided Disk 1 has been ticked off in the restoration processs.

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

The issue you raise is one that several of us have reported recently...hopefully Acronis support is working on a solution to this corrupt directory issue. So far, there is not a simple way to delete this folder. Apparently, something happens in the Linux mode of TI that causes this corruption. At least, that's what happened in my situation.

Did you do this restore from TI boot mode, or in Windows? I don't understand the details of the TI process, but, at least while doing a full image restore of your system drive, TI needs to reboot to complete the restoration in its Linux mode (TI can't run under Windows while erasing the Windows partition prior to restoration), the corruption may occur even if you do the restore from Windows.

If you have a complete image of your C drive, as has been suggested, you could try overwriting the entire C drive, which should both eliminate the corrupt Drive (C) directory, and get you back up and running. I say should because, though TI restores work most of the time, if you haven't yet tested this step on your computer, you can't know for certain that it will work. One way to find out, perhaps, would be to make an image of another partition, a data partition, if you have other partitions on your system drive, then restore that, and see if all works well.

You can request technical assistance from Acronis support, and please post the details of your situation here, because this is an important bug that needs resolution.

I've had similar corrupt directories on several partitions, and, while they are a pain, they aren't fatal errors. You can't defragment your drive, or, as you know, delete the directory, but, you should be able to run Windows and other programs, and access data. So, if you don't need to fix this, and aren't sure you can restore your system drive to bootable condition yet, you might wait until a fix is developed, or have more help.

If you only have one full disk/partition image, you may want to create at least one more, even including the corrupt Drive (C) directory, so that, if the clean image you have doesn't successfully restore, you can at least return to your present condition. And, if you haven't yet, do create and test your TI boot CD. If your system drive isn't working, Boot mode can save the day. Just be sure you can read and write to all your drives in Boot Mode (there are two boot modes, Full - Linux based, and Safe - DOS based, and your system may work better with one or the other).

Note, this issue with corrupt directories seems to only occur when restoring files and folders. If you are restoring a clean Image of the full partition, with no corrupt directories to begin, you shouldn't have this result. Compression may have something to do with this, too. Compressing already compressed data, such as PDF files, may be part of the cause. So, for those trying to resolve this, or workaround it, you might try uncompressed backups, if compressed ones yeild corrupt directories. I've been able to overwrite some folders that were corrupted when they were restored in TI full Boot mode, using TI running in Windows. But, at least one other user found that fix didn't work for him.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  6. dld

dld Registered Member

I certainly am curious as to how you managed to do a selective restore (Windows folder) if you have but one partition which probably would be your C: partition. As you say, ticking off the C: partition box automatically ticks off the Disk 1 box. Can you tell us how you did that?

If this selective restore of the Windows folder was done by mounting the backup image of your C: drive and then drag & dropping the Windows folder, this is not how you restore an image of your system using TI.
    This drag & drop method is meant for data files.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  7. Christian

Christian Registered Member

Hi there,

I noticed the same problem:
    - made a backup of a single folder 'c:\drivers' to a bootable TI CD
    - on a 2nd PC I booted with TI and tried to restore the folder to 'd:'
    - result: I had a folder called 'Drive(C)' on my partition 'd:'

Regards,
    Christian

used: TI 9.0.3677 on W2K SP4, restored to XP

8. cdikland

cdikland Registered Member

I dont mean to hijack your thread but.......

How can you do a selective restore from a full backupo_O

9. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Mount the image then drag and drop what you want.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Sagres,

Sounds as if you did a Files and Folders restore from a Disk/Partition image. In which case, the current version of TI will always include the full path of the file being restored. The Acronis Support reply in this previous thread titled <Restore files from an Image> confirms this and provides details on how the unwanted files and/or folders can be deleted.

Regards

11. Christopher_NC

During the restoration setup process, you are first asked which Archive you want to restore from. If you choose a Disk/Partition Image, on the next screen, you have the option of specifying that you want to either restore the entire Disk or individual partitions - OR - restore selected Files or Folders from that Image. You then tick which files you wish to restore (untick those you don't, since all are ticked by default).

If you select the option to restore only Files or Folders from an Image of your C: partition, to a new location, even on your C: partition or drive, TI will restore the files and folders you have checked under a newly created Folder (Directory) named, Drive (C). Inside that new folder will be the files and folders you asked to have restored.

If, on the other hand, you tell TI to restore the full Image of your C: partition, TI will overwrite your entire C: partition with the full image, after first wiping the contents of your C: partition.

For those of you that don't yet have experience using TI to restore partitions, or files & folders, a safer way is to create a new data partition, add some files to it, then back up and restore that partition, using the various modes of TI. This way, you'll learn the ropes without touching your system partition or OS. And safely detect any errors or configuration issues if things don't go as planned.

Even restoring files and folders to their original location may require TI to reboot to complete its task. It's best to know that once you reboot, all is well. So, run some tests. This is the only way to know for certain that the process works on your system, today. You may want to learn to use Boot Mode, too. And confirm the results, on your hardware.

Attached Files:

12. Christopher_NC

Here's what Acronis support suggests for solving this problem, in the link Menorcaman provided:

I've done several more tests today, resulting in corrupt files and directories, from a Files & Folders restore from a Verified Files Archive, done in Full Boot Mode, from internal SATA HD to internal SATA HD. The process works fine if I do the same restore running TI in Windows XP. I realize this is not the same as restoring Files from a disk Archive, but, none-the-less, I have the corrupt directories multiplying, and no apparent way to make them intact.

Here's a screen shot of my Properties sheet from the corrupt directory. I do not see the Permissions Tab, nor, under Advanced, can I change any attributes of these files to allow them to open, nor repair the corrupt directories. Could the above recipe be related to a different OS than Windows XP? The thread refers to servers, and may not translate to my situation, or Sagres'.

Any further ideas on how to take ownership of these files?

Again, restoring files that TI reports as a successful operation, yet cannot be accessed or managed, does not seem to be a successful backup restoration, in my opinion. Some files open, others do not. Is Acronis planning to correct these errors?

13. Christopher_NC

The screen shot didn't appear on my previous post, so I'll try again.

14. Sagres

Sagres Registered Member

Thanks to Christopher_NC & Menorcaman for the suggestions. The Drive(C) directory remains. I'm hesitant to perform another restore now that the system boots and seems to work without issue.

15. Sagres

Sagres Registered Member

This is Not how I restored my data. I performed the selective restore from the emergency boot CD. I got the PC to boot after copying the Drive(C)\Windows\system32\config to C:\windows\system32\config

Full disclosure: My technical knowledge is limited; I know enough to be dangerous. Thankfully the solution was found after searching the boot error message on Google.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.