Restore Over Network From Backup on Win7

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by PhredE, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhredE

PhredE Registered Member

I really have searched her for >"Win7" CD boot restore network< but there's precious little that can help me.

I'm using Paragon Backup & Restore Home 11 Compact with a rescue/restore CD prepared for retrieval.

The backup of XP over my LAN worked well to a Win7 machine here. The backup is in good condition and verifies successfully.

Before performing serious acts on the XP box I wanted to test the process of bringing the backup back via the nix rescue/restore CD - yet, while it can see other XP machines on the LAN, and, while it can 'see' the Win7 machines here - the restore environment can't SEE INTO the Win7 box holding the XP-backup. Huh?

Usernames/passwords are in place and used (false unam/pwds fail entirely) but the nix CD can't see the Win7 shares. What's going on?

Has Paragon/nix not implemented the Win7 IP stack? Is it proprietary to Microsoft? (..surely not..?!?)

Is there some instruction somewhere about the 'CD-boot restore from a Win7 computer over a LAN' process?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I hate fooling with network stuff for recovery and always think that if I had to recover from an image stored on another machine, I would just copy it to a USB drive first and move the drive to the sick machine.

Here is a thread that may or may not help you. It is based on doing a network recovery with the WinPE recovery CD, not the Linux-based one that is likely what the Compact Edition uses. The procedure may solve your problem or give you some insight.

The actual "solution" is around post #!2. Be sure you get the sharename right as the original poster had a problem with it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=304177

3. PhredE

PhredE Registered Member

Thanks seeker. 'I should have known.' :rolleyes:
    Quoting carlk's text from the link you pointed me to:
    Time has passed - June 2012 - and things are slightly different in PB&R11 Compact Boot Recovery Nix CD.
    I didn't need anything like the e in parentheses '(e)' and I couldn't use the backslashes that you suggested: in fact I HAD to use slashes; if I didn't type them in, the program would!
    And, yes, browsing wouldn't work, but explicit naming did - using a UNC ('Universal Naming Convention').
    I had to enter a source resource and a 'mount point'. I must admit to knowing little about nix, and I thought the resource might be //server and the mount point the 'remote share' /server_e - but after a few failed attempts I deduced that the former was //server/server_e and that the mount point was local: /mnt wasn't sufficient but /mnt/disk was okay. The mount point seems analogous to a mapped drive letter.
    Phew.
    Thanks again.

Ah, I haven't yet executed the restore from the network remote resource, although I should. I'm rushing to put an experimental Win7 install on the source machine, and then when that fails... I'll do the restore. If I get that distance, I'll report in here.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad you got it working and hope the rest goes well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.