Restore of C: on a new harddisk possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hancock, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hancock

Hancock Registered Member

Hello!

I would like my system a new boot harddisk, with Windows XP Pro on it.

So I made a komplete backup of partition C (32 GB) with Acronis TrueSpace 9.

Is it now possible to restore this backup to a new harddisk, with e.g. a bigger partition (50 GB) for C, or must the target partition have exact the same size as the old partition C?

Greetz,
    Hancock

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Hancock:

Yes, it is possible. The following steps will accomplish this, assuming that your backup image is stored on an external hard disk AND that you have created a recovery CD using the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder" application in Acronis True Image:

1. Shut down your PC
    2. Remove your current system hard disk
    3. Install the new, blank hard disk in its place. Configure the drive's jumpers to match the settings on the old disk
    4. Boot the PC from the TrueImage 9 recovery CD
    5. Start the Recovery Wizard from the CD
    6. Restore only the C partition from your backup image
    7. Choose the new, blank hard disk as the destination
    8. Choose the desired size of the restored image (make it 50 GB in your example)
    9. Let the process complete

Then reboot your PC with only the new disk installed. After the first successful boot into Windows then you can go back and restore any other partitions.

3. Hancock

Is it possible, when I put a third ATA-Drive in my PC and restore the backup auf drive C (disk 1) to this driveo_O
    I ask, because the restore time ist much faster using TrueImage under Windows.

Why is the restore using the Boot CD, I think the OS is Linux, so slow?
    To make a Backup under Windows (approx. 30 GB) needs under Windows about 15 or 20 minutes. The restore using the Boot-CD needs just for partition C (16 GB) about 143 minutes.

Greetz
    Hancock

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YOu can make a boot CD using XP or VistaPE if you want to run one of thos OSs when you restore a system disk/partition.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hancock,

Mark's suggestion is the best way to go, but you could use restore the image in Windows to your 3rd drive, but it is very important that you remove either that drive or your current drive with drive C on it before rebooting, otherwise your system will get confused.

TI should ask you if you want to use the whole drive or copy everything as it was. If it doesn't don't worry, because there is a way to change this once your new drive is up and running.

Colin

6. Hancock

I've found one more possibility: "Clone Disk" of Acronis TrueSpace 9.

If I remove one of the disks before rebooting everything should be fine, doesn't it?

Greetz
    Hancock

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes that should work.

8. Hancock

Thanks very much to you all!

Best greetz
    Hancock

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Hancock,
    Often times, the best and quickest complete solution is to take the long way around and bypass any shortcuts. The shortcuts appear quicker but in the long term, the shortcuts end up taking much longer.

Mark gave you excellent advise in his post #2. The important parts of his post is that the Rescue CD be used and that the blank drive be placed in the same position as original before you begin the procedure. His posting tells you how to restore partition C to a new & larger disk. He answered your question. Your post does not mention having any other partitions. Have you checked the XP Disk management display to see if you have other hidden partitons?

If you want an more examples of restoring to a larger drive, you can check line 3 of my signature.

If you want a cloning example (a less desirable choice & higher risk), you might try the procedures listed in My guide to Manual Cloning using the TI Rescue CD. This is work in progress but you might find it helpful.

If you choose the cloning procedures, your best chance of success is to
    1. Move the good original drive to either an external enclosure or to another internal slot as slave.
    2. Attach new blank drive in same postition as original.
    3. Boot from the TI Rescue CD.
    4. Perform clone . Remove CD and shut down.
    5. Remove original drive .
    6 Reboot with only new cloned drive attached.
    7. After a successful booting with the new drive, old drive can be attached later as an addititonal drive.

Other suggested reading:
    clone or resize comparison.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1299861&postcount=9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.