Restore not possible of TrueCrypt System Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pcpc, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcpc

pcpc Registered Member

Hi,

my test setup is:
    250gb laptop hdd, partitions: c and d
    c is encrypted, d is not and ntfs formated.
    d holds a sector by sector image of c, because my usb cddrive and usb hdd fight each other. i use a trueimage 11 recovery cd, flash recovery media fail to boot.

when i try to restore (sector by sector wise) the image located on d, i cannot select partition c as the restore traget. it is listed but grayed out.

whats the problem?

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you successfully done a backup and restore using an non-encrypted disk either normally or sector-by-sector?

If not, I would do that first to make sure the TI recovery environment is seeing your hardware correctly. The recovery environment for an active partition, typically C, is Linux not Windows (even though you may have started the process in Windows).

If you have done it then the problem is likely related to the encryption and somebody else will have to help you with that.

Did you search this forum for encryption ? It has been discussed before.

3. pcpc

pcpc Registered Member

no i did not try it without encryption. the trueimage linux boot disc sees my partitions but wont let me select the c partition on the laptop hdd. i created the image successfully with the true image boot disc. but i cannot select my c partition as the restore traget. it is displayed, but grayed out and not clickable.

the image resides now on an usb hdd, not on the intern d partition. the problem remains, i cannot select the c partition as the restore target

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm going to make a guess that the problem is that TI is looking at the archive file to see what partitions are inside it to restore and since it is encrypted it can't understand that there is a C partition. Like I said this is just a guess.

I don't know about the current version but in the past I do not believe that TI supported encrypted disks but IIRC there were some posts indicating some degree of success.

5. pcpc

pcpc Registered Member

the problem was the known bug, that trueimage thinks the partition is to small to restore the image, even if the partition did not change in size. i deleted all partitions and could restore the image in the unlocated space.

it shouldnt make a difference if the partition is encrypted or not, when it is a sector by sector image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.