Restore MBR,from image on D: , or not?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by corinthian, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Hi. Since I have been having a number of mysterious problems out of the blue for the last day or two, and I am tired of trying to fix them, I thought I might restore an image made a couple of weeks ago, after backing up new data. But I'm already stumped. When I get to the "select a partition to restore" part, I have two choices, "MBR and track 0" or "C:". . Which should I choose? I see If I choose "MBR", the "next" button takes me to also choose C: partition.Sorry to be so dense, but the users guide only says I can choose MBR "IF" it is critical to my system boot?
    So should I restore MBR as a part of C; image restore, or is that only done under some specific set of problems?

Also, I have a copy of this image on several DVDs. Is there any reason I should restore from there rather than from D: partition? This is TI home build 3633, on WinXP.

Also, when I made this image, I only imaged C: I later used "windows recovery tools cd" to add a new partition. Will I be able to restore just C: without damaging D: ?

Thanks,
    Bill

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi corinthian,

You should restore C partition only. Leave MBR unticked. The MBR image you have available originates from the single-partition layout you had when the image was created and would therefore not suit the two-partition layout you have now.

The D partition will not get damaged by restoring C only.

EDIT: If the image of C was created as a whole disk image, the default selection upon restoring will be Disk 1 + Partition C: + MBR and track 0.

You must untick Disk 1 to unselect everything first and then you'll be able to select only C.

You can use either copy of the image, but selecting the one stored on D will be more convenient.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  3. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Thank you, BVolk. I'll now give it a try.
    Bill

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As a FirstDefense-ISR-user, I always include the MBR when I recover a system backup to avoid the absence of a FD-ISR Pre-boot screen or a false FD-ISR Pre-boot screen.

However, if you don't include the MBR during recovery, FD-ISR offers the possibility to enable/disable the FD-ISR Pre-boot screen, which also recovers the MBR and the Pre-boot Screen, if you don't forget to do this.

So both methods are valid and work properly, I've tested this more than once.
    The last method is a bit shorter.

Without FD-ISR, I don't need to include the MBR at all, when I recover a system backup.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The point here is that TI Build 3633 copies the MBR & Track 0 data, which includes the Partition Table. Therefore as bVolk rightly said, if using an image of a single partition disk, you must not restore its MBR & Track 0 data to a multi-partitioned disk. To do so would render those other partitions inaccessable.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.