Restore Linux image files with TI8 BartPe plugin

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by igors, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igors

igors Registered Member

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the Acronis True Image Server for Linux. As I noticed, the Linux image file format is probably the same (as for the
    Win32 versions). Now, my question is ... is it possible to restore the
    Linux image files by using the win32 version of TrueImage 8 in the
    form of BartPe plug-in ? ... or in other words, it it possible to use
    the TrueImage for Windows in order to just restore the image files
    generated by True Image Server for Linux..

I'm currently using the customised version of the BartPE with the
    TI8 plug-in. For me, mostly because of the hardware support, is much
    more convenient to use our version of the recovery CD, instead of
    the original Acronis one.

Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello igors,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you are quite correct. The file format is the same for both versions and so there should not be any problems using Windows-based Acronis True Image versions (including Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE) to restore images created using Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. igors

igors Registered Member

Thank you very much! Good news.

I have another question. As I noticed, TI8 for Linux supports incremental
    backups ... which is fine. As I understand, in order to restore them you
    have to restore the primary image and TI will ask for any additional incremental files (if left).

Now, what if I need some specific file from the incremental backup ?
    I can mount the primary backup image (with trueimagemount) and restore
    the required files just fine ... however is there any possibility that I
    mount just incremental image file and restore the specific file from
    there ?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello igors,

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux (as well as any other version of Acronis True Image) automatically recognizes the initial full backup along with all it's subsequent incremental images as the entire multivolume image archive. That is the reason why you should keep all the parts of this multivolume image archive in the same folder.

Please also note that independently of what file (either the initial full image or any of it's subsequent incremental images) you have selected for the restoration Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux will analyze the entire image archive and suggest you several restore points in accordance with the initial full and subsequent incremental images creation dates.

Please be aware that when you create a disk\partition image Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux uses a special method of "snapshot" image creation, it doesn't store the standalone files or directories, but saves blocks of your hard drive data, saving the information about the disk/partition geometry.

Please also note that an incremental image contains only the data changed since the last full or incremental image has been created. That is why you should have the initial full image along with all previous incrementals in order to be able to restore or explore a particular incremental image. In other words, there is no way to mount a separate incremental image without having the initial full image along with all previous incremental images residing in the same folder, since it does not actually contain any files or folders, but only the information about the data changes (on the sector level) made on your hard drive since last full or incremental image has been created.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.