Restore Image to new computer from USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by redmx, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmx

redmx Registered Member

I've searched the board and tried everything I can think of for 5 days and still getting blue screen. Tried disk clone first with no luck and tried disk image restore. I have a Dimension 3000 system that I am trying to restore to a Dimension 4700. I've ran the sysprep on the 3000 and then made a image of the drive. The image seems to copy fine but trying to restore the image to the 4700 is where I get errors. I've booted from windows xp disk recovery console and ran bootfix, chkdsk, fixmbr,fdisk and bootcfg /rebuild, but nothing seems to work. I keep getting the blue screen of "hardware errors.. windows shut down to protect system... run chkdsk".
    I've gotten this to work several times from 4700 to 4700 without errors. I assume hardware drivers maybe the issue but I'm at a loss for which direction to go.

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Do you get the blue screen during restore or when you try to boot the 4700 after restore? I guess it's the latter and you will have to run a repair installation from the Windows Installation CD to fix the problem which is undoubtedly driver related.

3. redmx

redmx Registered Member

Your correct, the error appears after the restore has completed. I boot from the TI disc and restore image, TI tells me that the image restore was completed. I click OK and unplug the usb drive and remove the TI disc, then exit from TI for the machine to reboot and blue screen on start up. Is there a way to run 4700 drivers from recovery console?

4. Suntzu-Master

Suntzu-Master Registered Member

Hi,

Remember that SYSPREP will work only with compatible hardware!

you could have some drivers in your image that are not the right one for your new computer. If you are able to restart with your new system you will have to remove all the drivers that are not comptible anymore using the remove H/W feature.

I do not trust Windows PnP.

I will advise you using unattended setup or installing a new system from scratch.

bye :ninja:

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Boot from the Windows Installation CD and do a Windows Install. It will detect that there is a version of Windows already installed and ask you if you want to install a new version or repair the version that is already installed. Select to repair Windows and it will install the correct drivers for you.

6. redmx

redmx Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was planning on creating images for different departments on one machine and then restore the image to workstations, I assume this would be the best solution for that too?.

7. redmx

redmx Registered Member

Thanks pjb024,
    That worked! Could have sworn that I tried that, I guess that's why I shouldn't work on 4 pc's at one time.

8. aanvals

aanvals Guest

I have used one xp image on several different computers, there were some minor driver issues but the must I had to do was change the ide controller to Standard Dual Channel PCI before syspreping. Then after imaging, windows will see the drive and windows doesn't give me errors

Aanvals

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello redmx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm glad that your issue has been solved.

Thanks pjb024 and Suntzu-Master for their help.

I should also mention that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies or to restore one or more master images on the magnificent amount of PCs, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.