restore image to another hd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mantra, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i did a freesh install of xp , drivers and what i need , i did an image
    can i (with the boot cd ) restore this image to another hd , different brand and size ? without problems?
    thanks

ps. a novice

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

On the same system .... yes, that's is exactly what the software does. Remember to remove the original drive.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

[
    B]why?[/B]

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Usually one restores an image to another hard drive on the SAME system - you were not clear if this is what you are doing - for the purpose of going to a larger hard drive or for replacing a bad original hard drive.

For some reason, having both the original and the cloned drive in the same system creates problems - I don't know why - from what I have read in other messages in the forum.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i have to disconnect ? via bios or ?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Either way - it doesn't matter. Just make sure you do it before you boot into Windows for the first time ;).

Regards

7. Ocky

Ocky Guest

Due to conflicting forum postings, I am still not clear whether to use cloning or image backup when replacing an internal HDD with a new different brand/capacity HDD. There will be NO other hardware changes - only the new HDD. Can I restore from a previously made image backup of the entire old bootable OS disc (in order to get MBR) -- or do I need to clone with/without sysprep.
    Answer will be appreciated.

8. Menorcaman

Hello Ocky,

As you intend upgrading to a new HD I recommend you use the Clone function. The advantage of the Clone procedure is that you can adjust the size of the partition(s) to fill the new HD whilst cloning , either automatically or manually. If changing from an IDE disk to SATA you may need to carry out a Windows Repair reinstall after the clone in order incorporate the SATA Controller drivers. There is no need for a Sysprep as you are not migrating to a different computer.

You could restore a "whole disk" image to the new drive but in this case you will need to utilise the workaround procedure I posted in this <previous thread> in order to adjust the size of the partition(s).

Whichever method you decide on, just remember not to let Windows see the old HD when it first boots from the new drive. Once Windows has booted from the new HD you can connect the old one and then fdisk and format it before using it as a spare if that's what you want.

Regards

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i should restore to a new drive sata , my old backup i mad into a sata (more small)
    should i clone?

10. Menorcaman

Hello mantra,

Provided your backup image was created of the "whole" system disk (i.e. you ticked the box next to the drive number) then you can use either method as detailed above.

Regards

11. TomG

TomG Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem with True image 8. Using the Create Image function, I've sucessfully transferred my operating system from one hard drive to another on the same computer.

However, now I've run into a problem that I had using Nortons Ghost (which caused me to switch to Acronis). When I recover the saved image from the archive to the new hard drive, on boot up, it gets as far as the Windows Welcome screen (just immediately before you get the user icon with the password field) and there it stalls. The mouse is useable, but nothing else works.

I've spoken to a friend who says the problem may be that I'm transferring from an 80 gig HD to a 250 gig drive, even though I've made the partitions on both HDs the same size (C drive, with Win XP on it, 10 gigs, and the D Drive, with most programs and all dats, 45 gigs). I had no trouble transferring from the 250 gig to the 80 gig, so could he have a point?

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i had the same problem with ghost9 , i thinks it's buggy , so i switched to acronis:D

Menorcaman can u give me the last advise? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111621

13. Menorcaman

14. TomG

TomG Registered Member

Mantra, I may not have made myself clear - now the same thing has happened with True Image. Any suggestions?

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

nope :oops:

i did so
    restore the ghost image to the old hd with ghost 9 , reboot , uninstall ghost,install the last version of acronis , make a full backup , restore the acronis backup to the new hd

16. luddy

luddy Guest

It's because you left both drives in the system and rebooted into windows. I had the same issue with Ghost a long time ago and it royally screwed up both drives. I worked it out but forget what I did because it was so long ago and learned never to do that again. Sorry, good luck.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

nope i left both drivers in the system and rebooted into windows , with acronis i did not see problems

with ghost every time i try to restore my backup on different hd or different size i get this problem

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@TomG did u solve your problem?

@luddy does it happen with acronis too??
    (because i did the operations with acronis , and i haven't get this problem)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.