Restore Image - NTLDR missing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by goose1977, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose1977

goose1977 Registered Member

Hello, I've created an Image from a Windows XP Pro. Instalaltion with "Acronis True Image ECHO Workstation" and want to restore the Image on another PC with same equipment. When the PC reboot I get the error message:

NTLDR missing (German error message: NTLDR fehlt)

Windows does not start.

What is wrong? Did I've made a mistake?

Kind regards

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome Goose,

While you wait use our forum search feature. Key word's ntldr missing, titles only, Acronis support forum.

Steve

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Go into BIOS and check the boot order, the removal and insertion of disks can sometimes cause the physical boot order to change and the BIOS is trying to hand off to the wrong disk.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Copy/paste NTLDR from a different XP system and you may be able to boot normally.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You will get that message if any of the necessary boot files are missing. The normal way to put this right when restoring to a new drive is to include the MBR in the restoration.
    However in this case you are restoring to a different albeit similar computer. The normal procedure would be to use Acronis Universal Restore. I believe you can get a trial version from Acronis technical support.

What you could try in the meantime is to do another restore of just the MBR and instead of booting into Windows you could do a repair install which will pick up any different drivers that are required.
    This process would be simplified if you have a slipstreamed Version of you Windows insataller CD.

Xpilot

6. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I think the NT-Loader is present on the target device.
    Why should NTLDR are missing after restore an image?

The difference between the two (similar) systems will be a different allocation of the devices (e.g. the HDD with the restored image on PC2 has different state of MASTER/SLAVE as on PC1. If SATA then different plugged channels is the problem).

The boot.ini includes a definition of 'device'- and 'partition'-number.
    They must be the same in the source- and target PC.

Here an example of boot.ini:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /sos /noguiboot

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Youre' right and I'm betting that ntldr is where it is supposed to be but the PC is looking in the wrong place for it.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello goose1977,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report from the target computer in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.