Restore image from DOS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JohnA, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnA

JohnA Registered Member

Hi,

I have the following situation which I would like some advice / clarification please:

I have a PC with XP pro running on a single core AMD processor. I bought a new motherboard and a dual core AMD CPU. I want to move my old hard disk to the new system.

One extra complication is that the old system has a Standard HAL. It used to have an ACPI but somewhere along the line it got messed up so now it uses Standard.

A straight plug to the new motherboard did not work. After the first boot the PC get to a rebooting cycle. The only way I have managed to stabilize it is to keep the Standard HAL. Obviously not happy as some software doesn’t work with it and it does not recognize the dual core.

I wanted to use the Universal Restore to restore an image and change HAL in the process.

I made an image on a secondary HD and I want to use it to restore the PC. I made the Restore floppies with Universal restore. When I booted from them it asks me where the restore server is in the network. BUT what I want is to use the image in the slave HD.

Can it be done?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JohnA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Firstly, I'd like to confirm that Acronis Universal Restore should allow you to transfer your system to the new hardware preserving it's bootability (see section 3.7 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide for details). We recommend that you do the following in order to accomplish your goal:

- Create Bootable Rescue Media with Acronis Universal Restore on CD, DVD, removable Flash drive or pack of floppies using Acronis True Image embedded Bootable Rescue Media Builder (see Chapter 10 of the User's Guide mentioned above for further details);

- Create an image of the entire hard drive saving it to any type of the supported media, i.e. any internal, external or networked drive, CD, DVD, ZIP, etc. (see Chapter 6 of the User's Guide mentioned above for more information);

- Turn off the computer and install the new motherboard and CPU;

- Boot the computer from the beforehand created Bootable Rescue Media;

- When the selection screen appears choose 'Full version with Acronis Universal Restore';

- Start the 'Recovery' wizard, select the image you want to restore, choose 'Restore disks or partitions' option, select the entire hard dive to restore, select the target hard drive, choose 'Use Acronis Universal Restore' option and follow the wizard's instructions (see Chapter 7 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide);

- Proceed with the image restoration by hitting the 'Proceed' button;

- When the image restoration process is finished boot the computer into Windows.

If you are still unable to perform a restore using Acronis Universal Restore then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem:

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- Describe the way you created Bootable Rescue Media in detail;

- What do you see exactly when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue Media?

- Are you able to create Bootable Rescue Media on CD? If yes, then please try it and inform us about the result.

- What do you mean exactly when saying that the program asks you "where the restore server is..."?

- If possible, use digital camera to make a shots of your consequent steps taken during the attempt to perform a restore using Acronis Universal Restore and attach them to your post using the 'Advanced' reply mode available at the bottom of this page;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. JohnA

JohnA Registered Member

Thanks for the informative reply. I have followed that and I am now waiting for the restore to finish. Strangely the backup from within windows took 1.5 hours while the restore, booted from rescue media, says 15 hours!!!

Also I was unable to make a bootable DVD, the only option was a bootable CD.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello JohnA,

Ignore the fact that it says "CD-RW Drive" in the "Bootable Media Selection" window - if you insert a DVD it will burn to DVD. However, you need to be aware of some of the problems surrounding TI's new "Direct Imaging to DVD" feature. Therefore, if not already done, have a read of this previous thread titled <TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 - Imaging Direct to DVD>.

Regards

5. JohnA

JohnA Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman,

I was only usinng the CD/DVD as boot disk. My HD used space is over 100 Gb so a DVD backup will take forever and use lots of disks.

I'll be using an extrnal HD which has both USB and Firewire connections. Am I correct to think that people found problems with firewire HD especialy when restoring from the boot disk?

Should I leave the HD in USB connection? (not even sure if there is a significant benefit to the firewire over the USB)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JohnA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, I would like to confirm that Menorcaman is correct. Please note that this is a normal situation when a DVD writer is shown as a CD burner in Acronis True Image. This doesn't affect the device's functionality and you can use DVD.

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Acronis True Image supports both USB and Firewire connections. However, if you have any difficulties with Firewire connection in rescue mode, we recommend you to use USB one and vice versa.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.