Restore from True Image Console Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jlphillips, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlphillips

jlphillips Registered Member

We create a full backup in a shared folder on a server we have dedicated to to Acronis in our domain. Is it or is it not a feature to have the ability to push the backup file to a server using TI Console Manager without having to shut down the server? Is it always necessary to boot the server with recovery CD and install the agent before being able to push the backup to the server?

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jlphillips,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows allows you to restore the backup remotely in two ways:

1.) If the remote computer can boot into Windows and have Acronis Agent installed then you can connect to this machine using Acronis Management Console and then perform the restoration, including system system disks\partitions (see Chapter 4 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide for details).

Note that in case of restoring the system partition or entire hard drive computer reboot is always required. There is no way to overwrite the data located on a partition Windows is currently running from without rebooting the computer.

2.) If the remote computer is not bootable (e.g. some king of a system failure has occurred) you can restore system partition or entire hard drive either by booting the remote machine from Bootable Rescue Media containing Acronis Bootable Agent or by booting the remote machine from Microsoft RIS Server containing the Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows bootable data (see Chapter 10 of the above mentioned User's Guide).

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. jlphillips

Thanks for the reply.

I was told by someone else you could restore a previous image to a running system while it was running using TI Console Manager. A reboot would then be required to bring the previous image on line.

From what you are saying this can not be done. Is this the right conclusion? Just want to be sure because I a being pushed to make that happen.

4. ronatola

ronatola Registered Member

this CAN be done as you described.

5. jmhepner

jmhepner Registered Member

I just installed True Image Enterprise Server this morning onto a server I wanted to take an image of, successfully got an image by using the remote console, and now am attempting to restore that image. I have connected to the second server (where the True Image Agent is installed) and initiated a restore of the entire disk. It tells me a reboot is required, so I say reboot. It does, and boots into the Acronis environment for a few seconds, but then it reboots again and goes back into the existing Windows installation without actually doing the restore. On the console, the "Please wait for reboot" dialog box is still displayed even after the remote computer has rebooted, and nothing further happens. What am I doing wrong? I am not seeing anything additional that is required.

6. jlphillips

That's exactly what I am seeing. We are having other issue with Acronis at this time and I have not been able to get back to this. I plan on submitting a detailed account of what I encounter to Acronis support when I get these other issues resolved.

7. jmhepner

jmhepner Registered Member

I called support yesterday and was told the problem was due to incompatible hardware. They have given me instructions on how to dump a text file of system specs to send to them for analysis. These are HP Proliant DL385 servers. The thing is, if I boot off the CD I created with True Image it works just fine, so obviously the bootable agent is doing something different...but what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.