Restore from network share always fails

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by daberk701, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daberk701

daberk701 Registered Member

I've submitted this issue to Acronis Support, but have not received a response.

I am a current owner of True Image 10 Home and I would like to upgrade to version 11.

I downloaded the trial version and tested the process of saving and restoring an image on a network share. This always works when using version 10, but the restore process always fails when I try it with version 11.

1. From within Windows (Vista or XP -- it does not matter which), launch True Image 11, then follow the wizard to save an image on a network share. When selecting the location to save the image, provide the log-in credentials necessary to access the share.
    2. After saving the image successfully, follow the wizard to restore the image. When selecting the location where the image is stored, provide the log-in credentials necessary to access the share.
    3. On the last screen of the wizard, enter the log-in credentials for the network share.
    At this point, Windows must reboot. After rebooting, the restore process begins, but it appears that the log-in to the network share fails. Since there is no opportunity to log-in manually, Windows reboots without displaying a message to tell the user what went wrong.

I have tried this procedure connecting to a share on a Server 2003 domain, a Windows 2000 domain and to a share on a computer that is part of a workgroup. The process fails every time.

If anyone has successfully saved and restored to a network share with version 11, please let me know. This problem may happen with the demo version and not with the full version, but I have no way to know. I do not want to be forced to use the rescue disc in order to restore an image, but I would imagine that this should work even if the reboot from within Windows does not. When using the rescue disc, it is necessary to log-in manually, so I do not expect a problem.

If the failure is because of a time-out during authentication, I believe the program should display an error message and prompt the user to enter the log-in credentials manually.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried it from the TI 11 Rescue CD? I'd guess that it will fail, but why guess success or failure when you can try. If it fails from the CD, then it's a problem with the TI 11 Lunux environment and you'll have to wait for a new build of TI 11 (none since Nov. 2007) or build a BartPE or VistPE disk.

I'd really like to know if the TI 11 Rescue CD does work for you.

3. daberk701

I did try using the rescue CD, but since this is a demo version, the restore function is disabled.

I am sure that the full version of the rescue CD would work, but it should not be necessary to use it when Windows is bootable.

I was amazed to find this problem. That is why I really want to know if anyone who has the full version has successfully restored an image from a network share by launching the process from within Windows.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello daberk701,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

Could you please tell me the number of your case you've received in Acronis Support Department? I'll check how the issue is investigated and try to escalate issue processing. Mentioned case number can be found in autoreply to the letter you've got after submitting request.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

5. daberk701

The issue number is 1556811.

I intended to respond to the latest e-mail from Aconis today. I was asked to supply a screen shot showing the last message on-screen and it was not easy to capture the part I needed.

I will send a response later today, but the main issue is:

1. I am providing the user name and password in the correct format. If I did not do this, I would never be able to create the image in the first place.
    2. When Windows reboots and True Image resumes, it gets to the point where is displays "Analyzing partition", then it reboots to the full Windows environment. I originally thought that authentication was failing, but this may not be the case.

Since me last message, I purchased and registered the full version so I could try the rescue disc. The rescue disk works properly.

6. daberk701

This morning I downloaded and installed the new build (8101). This build fixes the problem and restore from a network share works properly now.

I do not know yet what happens if the network resource is not available, but as I said in my original post, I'd like to see an error message and the option to try a manual log-in if automatic authentication fails

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Glad the new build solved your problem. That's good news.

The Trial Rescue CD is supposed to be able to Restore images, but it cannot create new images. Without the Restore function you couldn't test the product. However, if the CD made images, you wouldn't have to buy the product. The Windows installation can be made to stop working after the trial period, but you can't do that with a CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.