Restore From A NAS Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fjlabarbera, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjlabarbera

fjlabarbera Registered Member

I have Acronis TI 10 Build 4877.
    Installed a WDXE2500JBN Net Center NAS drive that is connected to my router. The drive name is WDNetworkDrive.
    Using TI10, I created a drive backup image on the NAS with no problems.

When I try to restore the image on the NAS after a normal windows boot, it does work (I go to the point of starting the actual restore then stop).

When I try to restore the image after booting from the Acronis TI 10 CD, I get a window asking for a username & password. I can't get beyond this window. The correct NAS drive folder tree is displayed which shows the backup folder.

Contacted Acronis support. They have a paper on this subject that says the user name format should be SERVER/USER or DOMAIN/USER. My computer name is GatewayComputer.
    I tried \\GatewayComputer\username PW that does not work.
    I also tried \\WDNetCenter\username pw that does not work.

Acronis TS has not resolved this issue so far and their response time is not too great! I keep asking them "what password is their software looking for" with no response.

The NAS drive does not have any password required for access. All folders are public.
    The only password on my system is when I boot then logon to my computer and I am the only user. My login has full administrator rights.

I upgraded to Build 4942 with no help. The same problem happens when using a Dell laptop that has a wireless connection to the router.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What does the NAS device tech support group say about this. It sure sounds like the NAS device is requiring a username and password.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fjlabarbera,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media does not support wireless network.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. smiley2

smiley2 Registered Member

Just as hint:
    As they said, no "\\" in front of the username,
    "GatewayComputer\username" is correct.

hth, :)

5. fjlabarbera

Thanks for all the replies.

After sending me a few canned responses, Acronis TS (977713) requested data on 4/13 then numerous screen pictures on the 16th.

It does seem that TI 10 is asking for a password for the NAS but there is no password required for the NAS drive; all folders are public and are mapped drives readily accessible via Windows. Also, everything works when I run TI 10 after a normal windows boot (no username/pw info is asked for).

When TI 10 is installed, it asks if the application should be available only to the current login or all users. I selected the current login (frank labarbera). Logic says that this is what is being asked for but I don't know for sure nor do I know what format it should be in.

I get the window after I select the backup folder on the NAS. I tried GatewayComputer/frank labarbera then my pw; does not work (the window comes back with the pw field cleared). I don't have any other username/pw combinations to try. I checked and my computer name is GatewayComputer exactly.

Regarding the reply from Marat Setdikov: While Acronis Bootable media does not officially support wireless, I was able to write a backup image to the mapped NAS drive from the wireless computer with no problems. If I try to restore that image, I get the same password prompt problem.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fjlabarbera,

As i can see, your issue is being worked on. Please follow the instructions of Michael Titov and send the information requested by him.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. fjlabarbera

All requested information was sent to Michael at 3:16PM on 4/16/07.

8. fjlabarbera

SOLVED THE PROBLEM:
    1. To determine if Acronis was looking for my Windows login & pw, I created another backup image on my internal D: drive.
    2. Booted Acronis TI 10 using the recovery cd.
    3. I was able to access the backup file on the D: drive with no password requested. This tells me that a login was being requested for the NAS even though all the NAS folders are public.
    4. Configured the backup folder on the NAS to be private then assigned the user name Guest and a pw.
    5. Verified that I have to provide the username/pw to access the folder when in Windows.
    When I am asked for the information, the screen says:
    \\Wdnetworkdrive\HardDriveBackups
    Connected as:
    P/W:
    After I entered username "Guest" then the pw, access was granted.
    6. I booted to the Acronis CD then tried to access the backup archive:
    I tried:
    \\Wdnetworkdrive\HardDriveBackups\guest then the PW
    Wdnetworkdrive\HardDriveBackups\guest then the PW
    Neither of the above worked.

I noticed that the window says "Connect to HardDriveBack on WdnetworkDrive."
    The name of the folder on the NAS is HardDriveBackups. The name displayed was truncated ("ups" is missing)!!

I renamed the folder on the NAS to Acronisbu verified that the username was "guest" and the pw didn't change.
    I was able to access the NAS AcronisBU folder and the archive after booting from the CD.
    Since the correct path is displayed in the window, entering the path was not necessary (I just entered the username "guest" then the pw).

Acronis #977713 is closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.