Restore from 4gig volumes that are in one folder of hd.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hollis, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollis

hollis Registered Member

I made archive using ti9, to an external hd. It broke archive into 4gig files.
    That was good for burning DVDs, so no compliant there.[I understand this was due to external hd using FAT32]

However, due to another issue, I contacted customer support. One thing they said was to copy archive back onto internal hd[e-drive] , all 5 volumes in one folder.and then restore image to my c drive.
    I could find no way to merge the 5 folders. without merging them into one file, the attempts to restore image stop after starting at vol 5.
    The message says to put in volume one, but since I am trying from the hd I can not physically remove vol. 5 and put in vol.1
    The choices are only 'put in vol. 1' or 'cancel', I can find no way to bring up vol. 1 from the hd.
    Any ideas?

Dell dimension 4600; XP PRO,
    1.5 gig RAM
    C:\ is 250gig with 2 partitions
    160gig hd

2. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Hmm

Your not quite making sense there..

Make sure you have all of the *.tib files in the same folder. If it has all the files from a set, it won't ask you to swap volumes etc.

Failing that, give it a verify and see if it handles that just fine (with the files in the same folder).

3. hollis

hollis Registered Member

I am sorry you think I did not make any sense.

The 4gig size files are called 'volumes' by ti9. They are *.tib files and as I stated in my earlier message, I put all 5 "*.tib" files/ volumes into one folder.
    Since this is for my home machine, I will have to try, again,verifing my archive when I get home.

Because of the [extreme] time it takes to verify, and the fact that I have to start with volume 5, leave to go to work, come back that night to click on vol. 4 ; hope machine did not freeze, due to the length of time it was waiting.and on and on. Anyway, I will try again to see if I can get through the verify.
    -
    BUT it sounds you think I should not have to do anything to put the volumes into one [other than being all in same folder] folder . TI( ought to be able to read all the volumes as one archive.

Customer service[!!] has been back and forht with me since I reported my problem, more than just this; in Oct. 2006...

Oh well, I am glad this is not a business machine.

I have some software installed which can not be reinstalled, otherwise I would
    have just re-formated a long time ago.

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi hollis it seems we are missing a lot of facts from you. If you copied an image to an external drive why would Acronis tell you to copy them to another drive? ( you should be able recover from an external drive) Something doesn't make sense here. How many internal drives do you have. When you copied the .tib files to your external drive, did you do it from windows explorer? (Copy and paste)
    Are you running Windows XP. Is your hard drive ( usually C) fat32 or NTFS.
    Do you have only these 5 .tib files on your external drive, or are there others.
    If you have only the 5 .tib files in one folder you only have to validate one file, TI knows they are a group. ( Wow...I valiidate 20 gigs in about 10 minutes ). I would also suggest you create a new folder when making a new backup/image and name it the with the date and drive it was made from. Stops confusion.

5. hollis

hollis Registered Member

Hi,
    Perhaps I was unclear. When I said 'Acronis' said to copy files from external drive to one folder on internal drive, I meant Acronis customer service, not the software. They were suggesting this as I was not able to restore from the external drive. To copy .tib files from external drive to internal one using xp's copy and paste.

Machine is: Dell Dimension 4600; 2.8mhtz, 1.5gig of RAM; is xp-pro with external usb drive which is FAT32. internal hard drives are NTFS, two physical drives, each with two partitions. [I believe my first post mentioned that the external drive was FAT32]

Yes, I agree that it is easier to have each archive in a seperate folder .
    I now have three copies of the same archive; DVDs, external and internal drives. The ones from the hard drive are each in a seperate folder.

I have been trying to save this installation because I have some software which although I own legal copies of software; they must be registered when installing. And company has gone belly-up, so there is no longer a place to activate it. I guess I will give up

I have been emailing Acronis Customer Service since mid-October. It has generally been 7-10 days between my questions and a reply.

I am not able to get the archive to complete verification. It stops and asks for another volume.

I guess I am going to look into BootitNG rather than True Image. Reading the forums, I hear that recording/archiving directly to DVDs is slow and hard.
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Hollis

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Would you mind clarifying:
    1. Was the original backup created direct to DVD or direct to external drive?
    2. Was the files on the internal or external drive ever copied from the DVD?
    3. Does both your hard drive backup folders match my sample image below? One folder with 5 files inside?
    Your volume 5 will have a different file size plus the folder and file name will differ.

My questions above are based on your info of having one backup with copies in 3 places:
    ..one backup set on 5 DVD's
    ..one backup set on both an internal and external drive.

Some of the posters have indicated difficulty in creating a backup direct to DVD using TrueImage Home. Many of the forum members suggest the direct burn method as the absolute last choice in creating a backup.

I have used Version 8 and 9 without problems. By reading the forum postings, I have learned its strengths and weaknesses (which all programs have). My images contains backups of my 3 partitions in Disk 1. My restores (1-3 partitions) have always been without problems. I never burn direct to DVD--always to other internal or external usb drives.
    ...Pent 4; 2.66ghz; XP Pro; SP2; Sata & IDE drives

Attached Files:

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Maybe if I explain why I am confused might help hollis the description you give in your original post is descriptive of the results one gets when he is trying to restore/validate from a number of DVDs. Usually if all the files are in one folder or drive or dvd TI knows that those files are one archive and will see them as a group. When your image is on more then one DVD then it will asks for different volumes, usually starting from the last volumeand then to the first etc. I suspect that Acronis support is assuming that your images are spread over a number of DVD's and are requesting you to make a folder on your hard drive and copy and paste the .tib files from one archive into that folder.
    I would also like to recommend that you make your external drive NTFS as it seems to me that you can not mount an image that is FAT32 on an drive that is NTFS. I use FAT32 and I know I can't mount a NTFS image. ( not sure about the other way around. But you can restore an image that is NTFS to a drive that was originally FAT32 ( I just had to try). Don't give up just yet on TI with help from the likes of GroverH and many others here you may find that you will get running yet. Just be patient, as there are a lot of posts to read. Look around yourself and learn while you wait. Good luck.

8. hollis

hollis Registered Member

Hi,
    Sorry to be so long replying. I have ben out of town.

although I had made prior backups recording directly to DVDs,[ not verifying do to extremely long times]. this time I saved archive to external hard drive[1st arcive]. Since this was formated as FAT32, it cut archive into 5 pieces.

I found out from forums that this was due to FAT32. Any way, it worked out nicely as the 4gig size was fine to fit onto DVDs.
    So I burned the archive onto 5 DVDs.[2nd archive]

When I ran into problems restoring archive, I contacted customer/technical support. They asked me to move archive onto internal hard drive.
    This is how I got the third copy of this same archive.

On both external and internal hard drives, the entire archive is in one folder.

When I try to verify the archive on the internal and external hard drives,
    I get the insert volume # so and so.
    I guess, I need to change external drive to NTFS. I have heistated due to concerns about losing data, ie. archives.
    I hate to lose software which I bought and registered, but company is put of business, so if I lose this install, I am out $100.

TO; Grover.
    See above, 1. I saved first to external hard drive.
    2, when I made copy onto internal hard drive, I copied from the external drive.
    3. yes the folders show the arcives as tib files one for each of the divisions made when I made archive onto external drive, which divided archive into 4gig parts.
    Thanks again.
    I may just have to bit the bullet and reformat.
    Hollis

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

hollis thought you had left the forum or I would have tried to correct myself earlier.
    someone on this forum will correct me if I am wrong here. But in my earlier post was I think,I was wrong I think if you copy an image from an NTFS drive to FAT32 or NTFS external drive it doesn't matter, other then the image will be split into 4 gig files.
    I tried to make an image from NTFS to my FAT 32 external and when I tried to mount the drive in another computer, I couldn't because it saw the image as NTFS. The only reason I can see to reformat your external drive would be to get away from split archives. That would be up to you to decide.
    Byt I am sure it will work. Try mounting your image in windows and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.