Restore didn't work, destroyed another HD..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GINTER, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GINTER

GINTER Registered Member

Ouchie..

I backed up my C: drive (150 gig), using True Image to another HD within Vista. From there I tried restoring the whole drive to another hard disk, a 400 gig drive. True Image asked for a reboot, where I complied. It booted into restore mode and a gui with % done came up. No action was visible for about a minute, no HD light came on. The system rebooted into Vista, and all seemed fine (no restore happened to the 400 gig HD, which was ok). However, an anomaly was detected on yet another HD. My 1 TB Hitachi drive is now "unreadable." I tried using disk management, where it is marked "unreadable" and I cannot initialize it, format it, nor do anything to be able to write to the disk.

That drive had a ton of data stored on it. I hope it wasn't blown away.

Help.

2. GINTER

GINTER Registered Member

... Furthermore, I uninstalled Acronis TI 10 (latest) and I still cannot access the HD. I was hoping that it was the SECURE ZONE feature, which I couldn't manage within the program, because it would quit. Same with the CD, as soon as I hit manage secure zone, it resets the PC.

PLS HELP.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

How is the 1 TB drive connected - internally or externally? Do you think you mistakenly restored to the 1 TB instead of to the 400 Gb drive?

4. GINTER

GINTER Registered Member

The HD is internal, SATA. I certainly didn't select the 1tb during restore - in fact, I was afraid something wacky would happen and hit the BACK button three times to make sure I selected the 400 gb hard disk.

I would try to run a restore, sector by sector, however, the two restore programs I have state that the HD is corrupted and cannot be read from. I can't even initialize it from Windows. It does appear in the BIOS and in disk management. However, as stated above, it's "corrupted."

I'm disappointed. Not only didn TI not work properly, it ate a brand new HD (I've had it for about a week) and all the data on it.

I really hope someone will have an explanation or really a fix to restore my HD.

5. DwnNdrty

So all three drives are SATA and internal. Sorry I don't have an explanation or solution for the corruption of the 1 TB drive. It's must be another idiosyncracy of True Image. True Image is very picky when it comes to hardware. You just don't know how it will behave or what it will do until you run it through its paces, so-to-speak.

You might try data recovery software like R-Studio (not too expensive - was about $80 3 or 4 years ago). In the mean time I would disconnect that 1 TB drive so nothing gets written on it accidentally.

6. GINTER

GINTER Registered Member

PHEW - I got my drive AND the data back. Had to use a boot-cd (non-Acronis) to clear the MBR, then restore the MBR using the encrypting program, which the 1 TB is secured with.

What relief. I had only 300 gig backed up of the 600+ that are on the 1 TB. Running a complete backup now, just in case..

As for TI, I'm disappointed that it didn't work. I was hoping to back-up my 150 GIG hd (RAID 0, two 74 gig Raptors) to another HD (the 400 gigger) and then add two more 74 gig Raptors to the first array, making a 300 gig RAID 0 C disk. But I'll have to defer this operation until I find reliable imaging software, that won't blow away my hard disks.

Any suggestions?

7. DwnNdrty

Why don't you try your original restore again, but his time disconnect the 1 TB drive temporarily while you're doing the restore.

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Unfortunately, RAID 0 often has serious problems. It's a technology that has outlived whatever usefulness it might have had. If you wanted speed, it's not much faster than a single drive. If you wanted size, you can buy large drives. If you wanted a way to endanger your data, you have discovered it along with many other people.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Amen to that, on average, it effectively cuts the probaly time to failure in half without any appreciable benefit in terms of program operating speed except for slight benefits in certain disk intensive operations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.